The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dating pre-1929 cars
The Glasses book is around to date registrations of 1929 cars onwards.
Does anyone know whether there is another publication that covers the earlier ones please? Or if not what resources have this information, if any?
thanks Jon
Hi Jon

I have a small book called
“where’s it from when was it issued”

For single and double letter registrations
It gives the first date issued and the last date issued.

It’s by Noel Woodhall and hard to find these days
First published in 1976 by Transport Bookman Publications Ltd
Syon Park , Brentford.

If you need a number looked up let me know by PM or email

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
A History of Motor Vehicle Registration in the UK
Third Edition
L.H.Newall
Newby Books, Scarborough
£16.95
ISBN 978-1-872686-32-5
Thanks Bill and Chris - didn't see the second posting after seeing Bill's and getting to action.

From the "customers who purchased this" lead from Woodall, I took the strategy of finding a different one so could swap information.. and the Newall is indeed the one I bought on the basis of it being less inflated price due to "rareness" - found one for 12 quid posted. (I've also bought the Shire book by Moss and another one, largely as they were a couple of quid each posted)
(21-11-2018, 10:08 AM)AllAlloyCup Wrote: Hi Jon

Syon Park , Brentford.

Regards

Bill G

I have one and it's a very useful little reference book - or, sadly, a very useful pile of loose pages as the "Perfect Binding" used has perished completely.  It covers everything from 1903 up to 1976 by month of issue.  As Bill says, hard to find now and the few that I've seen have been pricey.  Incidentally, if you search for it, the author's name is Woodall (no H), rather than Woodhall.
(21-11-2018, 10:08 AM)AllAlloyCup Wrote: Hi Jon

Syon Park , Brentford.

Regards

Bill G

Noel Woodall  ..... no h

claims to have names and addresses of owners of reg numbers? Is this useful in tracking the history of our cars? What are the limitations?  cheers  Russell
I have 'How to Trace The History of Your Car' by Philip Riden. ISBN 9781873361054
Lists licensing authorities, Index marks and when issued, which records exist etc.
Jim
Seeing Russell's comment, if you look up some of the images of the Noel Woodall yearbooks on Amazon review listings, he does indeed have great lists of owners of plates and their addresses! I wonder if in 1978 it was viewed as prestigious, but wow... would that information been in the public domain even then?!
Hi Martin

Sorry for the typo, my pages are all falling out as well!!

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
(21-11-2018, 01:32 PM)JonE Wrote: Seeing Russell's comment, if you look up some of the images of the Noel Woodall yearbooks on Amazon review listings, he does indeed have great lists of owners of plates and their addresses! I wonder if in 1978 it was viewed as prestigious, but wow... would that information been in the public domain even then?!

I have a couple of Noel Woodall's "Car Numbers" books from the 'sixties and early 'seventies.  They appeared when what are now known as "Private Plates" or "Cherished registrations" were starting to catch on and list several hundred, with varying amounts of information.  How much of it was done with the owners' consent, I don't know.  Carefree days, well before Data Protection!