The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guess what this is
Does anyone know what this is ?
Its not specific to Austin, but you would know if you had bought your A7 brand new when it was built.

.jpg   wotisit.jpg (Size: 28 KB / Downloads: 522)

No prize for guessing correctly other than the honour.
I have one of these, although mine was bought new in the States in the 'seventies. I've never needed to use it!
Haven’t got a clue
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Clue:  The pale grey bit is a hollow tube.
is it for fuel somehow?
I too think this is a later iteration. The example shown was in use in the sixties on small round sealed cans of oil, as refillable bottles were being phased out.
I have one from the  teens and twenties, it is a brass and steel stirrup that lodges under the corner of the 4 gallon square tin can. There is a handle which presses the spout into the top corner. These tin cans came as a pair in a wooden box for delivery into parts of the country where there was no pumped fuel supply.
When I worked in a gas or service station as a teenager these were used to pierce 1 quart cans of oil. The spout was then used to pore the oil into the crankcase. Oil cans at the time were constructed of thin sheet tin.
(20-11-2018, 11:06 PM)squeak Wrote: I too think this is a later iteration. The example shown was in use in the sixties on small round sealed cans of oil, as refillable bottles were being phased out.
I have one from the  teens and twenties, it is a brass and steel stirrup that lodges under the corner of the 4 gallon square tin can. There is a handle which presses the spout into the top corner. These tin cans came as a pair in a wooden box for delivery into parts of the country where there was no pumped fuel supply.

I think Russell is right - that is a sixties oil pourer for oil tins before plastic took over. Not sure they were around in the twenties or thirties in that form. 
Mind you I haven't seen the square tin pourer .
Looks like something worn in a Shakespearean play!!
(20-11-2018, 11:23 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Looks like something worn in a Shakespearean play!!
And here was I too thinking it was a cod-piece from an old suit of armour.   Cheers, Bill in Oz