The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trialing season started - what you need to know trialing a seven
(23-10-2023, 02:34 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: I used to do a few trials this is what I used to say.

What you don't say is that you were very successful!
(25-10-2023, 09:05 PM)David Cochrane Wrote:
(23-10-2023, 02:34 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: I used to do a few trials this is what I used to say.

What you don't say is that you were very successful!

Yes, David, I thought that when I read it. An excellent trial's driver usually with a very able bouncer and co driver...and a very well sorted and powerful Seven - now sadly in retirement.
Modesty becomes our Austin in his Shed. Well done Dave!
It was always a team effort,well Ron and I.
At the time many put their cars away after a trial and dragged them out the day before.
We between us prepared ours and modified the car until we got it right and tough enough for VSCC trials.
We only retired once in six years ,with a broken rear spring,main leaf 3” before the eye but still managed to limp back to the digs using the tow rope and a block of wood to keep the axle in place.
Weakened by doing the Brooklands driving test prior to it I thought.
I replaced the tyres as soon as they’d lost their edge,most didn’t.
At the time James Diffeys Bugatti could do 41 mph in first we were told ,(he had to hold it in gear)and Richard Parsons GN was light,powerful,lots torque and no diff.
I wonder if we were only ones to come 1st and 2nd on a dual drive trial ? Scottish?
We was practicing to do one of the early Cotswolds trials/ novice trial,Ron practicing to do the “ Eight in eight”, Sprint to the car ,jump in and drive to the finish in 8 seconds when the starter housing smashed.
I’d had some stronger ones cast and by the mid evening machined one up to fit.
Tried the the car ,fine.Come to load it up and the engine wouldn’t turn.
Gave up about 10 pm and went to bed.
Had a light bulb moment about 3am,got dressed and out to the car,looked around the engine and noticed the fan pulley hard up to the casing ,the pulley had split, pulled up the taper and locked to engine somehow.Phoned my trialling partner to come over,swapped the pulley and we were off by 5 or 6 am.
I think he was the only one to do the “Party games” 8 in 8 seconds.
Dave is exactly right. Most events, whether trials, sprints or races, aren’t won on the day but rather in the hours of preparation beforehand.
Alan Fairless
Is there a consensus on whether leaves should be removed from the front spring for trials to allow more flex?

Looking forward to the MCC Exeter trial (with some trepidation about the all-night bit...)
Removing leaves from front or rear springs might well get you to the first section……..
I did the MCC trials for quite a few years in my Gordon England Cup Model, it was converted to 12v and made it through the night no problem.
Didn't remove any leaves from any of the springs either.
You'll love it once you get to the end and have a pint, not so much at about 3am when its freezing cold and raining....
regulations aside, what's better a 3 speed or 4 speed ?. :-)

(13-11-2023, 02:46 PM)stuartroach Wrote: I did the MCC trials for quite a few years in my Gordon England Cup Model, it was converted to 12v and made it through the night no problem.
Didn't remove any leaves from any of the springs either.
You'll love it once you get to the end and have a pint, not so much at about 3am when its freezing cold and raining....

Thanks for all the words of encouragement Stuart... but haven't you now turned to the dark side for your trailing days ? a Model A Ford ? -

I imagine a decision made from experience maybe ? :-)

Cheers M