The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter gear
What is the best way to fix a starter gear that needs an occasional prod with a screwdriver. Its a new engine I have built, nearly all machined at home. Its all gone well and runs nicely on the test bed just the starter gear is beating me. Its the last bit of the puzzle before I fit the engine back in the car.
Is the motor shaft bent?
Does it need the prod to engage the gear or is it to disengage the gear?
Engaging is the problem
I seem to recall reading that the gear should not be lubricated, because grease or oil on the spiral may prevent the gear wheel from spinning out into engagement with the flywheel. Perhaps someone can confirm this?
What sort of starter is it? The bacon slicer starter needs the weight on the pinion for the pinion to engage with the ring gear as I found out

What sort of starter is it? The bacon slicer starter needs the weight on the pinion for the pinion to engage with the ring gear as I found out
As a young apprentice with Joseph Lucas we were instructed not to lubricant the pinion or shaft of starter motors as the dust from the clutch plate could stick to lubricant and cause pinion to fail to engage .

Stephen.
If it's the later type starter motor there is a two sided spring clip that the pinion rests in after use. It may be that the spring is holding it too tight and preventing it from climbing up the bendix to engage the flywheel. It's a fairly simple job to remove the starter motor and "adjust" the spring tension. Remember to disconnect the battery before you do anything.