The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy Hood Bag
Hi any tips on making a hood bag, looking at the image in the handbook below it looks quite simple, I hope.

.jpg   manual.jpg (Size: 18.49 KB / Downloads: 581)
Googling Chummy Hood Bag I found some images in Photo Bucket uploaded by Brian Hutchings.

Hood Bag

These help but I then note that there are two additional straps to hold the bag down, I guess or it acts as an air break (not that the car is going that fast).  Do other have these straps?

Thanks
I have a hood bag from my own Chummy that you can borrow as a pattern - it is not original but is well made along original lines.
(14-11-2018, 09:59 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I have a hood bag from my own Chummy that you can borrow as a pattern - it is not original but is well made along original lines.

Hi Ruairidh. Thanks for the offer, photos would be good when fitted to the car, saves it getting lost in the post.
You are welcome to borrow it Douglas - I never ever use it.

PM me your address and I’ll send it down to you.
(14-11-2018, 11:10 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: You are welcome to borrow it Douglas - I never ever use it.

PM me your address and I’ll send it down to you.

Ruairidh thanks, PM sent.
I have it Douglas - sorry, busy day, but will get onto it for you!
An idea for you Douglas, I have on my Dodge tourer sewn a full length tonneau cover to the hood bag. This rolls neatly out of sight underneath the top panel when not in use. Good for security, rain, and with a brass half zip, a cozy winter drive. 
 The front edge fastening on the 28 Austin 7 roadster presented a more difficult problem which I have solved by sewing a strap transversally  which buckles to the windscreen headlight mounts. We in Australia have a 1 piece windscreen and the strap pulls down firmly to the scuttle forward of the screen. I imagine a similar  arrangement could be made through the 2 piece screen and this would simplify the steering wheel pocket. 
regards  Russell
(14-11-2018, 09:45 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: Hi any tips on making a hood bag, looking at the image in the handbook below it looks quite simple, I hope.

Googling Chummy Hood Bag I found some images in Photo Bucket uploaded by Brian Hutchings.

Hood Bag

These help but I then note that there are two additional straps to hold the bag down, I guess or it acts as an air break (not that the car is going that fast).  Do other have these straps?

Thanks
A strap was fitted to one bracket on the AD when I got it, and it might just be original. It is ~ 12" long by 5/8" wide with a plated (well, remains of plating!) 1" buckle with a roller. The buckle is retained by a folded over flap with a bifurcated rivet holding it in place.The thing that makes me think it might be original is that there is a single hole with a brass eyelet 10" from the buckle pin. In other words it is not a generic "dog collar" strap, but made specifically for the job, with a reinforced hole in the right place. OK the sketch shows the "dog collar" style, but.....
I am intending to get a couple made up by a belt maker.
Unfortunately the later AG tourer I have uses a different strap arrangement I think. It has a "lift a dot" screwed into the bracket, so I will have to make up a canvas strap I think.
I too am interested in Hood bag dimensions!
David
There's one on ebay at the moment.
Helpful dimensions!
Thanks for the "heads up"
D