The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
austin and oil
just been having a sort through some of my old paperwork. And found some old oil charts. These have probably been in the loft for 15 years.

And I've only just noticed they are advertising sternol oil in austin cars.

I've only ever noticed CASTROL advertise there oil for Austins before.

Did other oil companies advertise oils for austin cars.

Tony.

[attachment=4434]

The oil chart is an artists impression of an austin 7.

Looks to be a 1932?

[attachment=4435]

[attachment=4436]

It came with two others, I take it there are more in the range.

[attachment=4437]
fr those who have not already got the message, the lubrication recommendation for the later clutch release and for hubs is absurdly excessive. For the latter, unless wading, just packing the races on assembly is fine.
Hello Tony, 
    I have this one from the late twenties advertising Mobil oil.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Interesting Robert.

I forgot about Mobil b&b being used.

Checking the gearbox with the engine dipstick is new to me?

Does it hit a point in the gearbox were you can read full in the dipstick, otherwise how does it tell you if you need more oil, or have over filled.

Tony.
I have a very similar publication to Robert's but with the the words 'Issued by Vacuum Oil Company Ltd.' on the bottom of the front cover. Mobile and Vacuum Oil Co were/became one and the oil recommended throughout the publication is Mobile. As well as the Seven, it also covers the 12/4, 16/6, 20/4 and 20/6 models but not the '...latest production of the Austin Motor Co Ltd,' the 12/6, which would appear to date it late 1930/early 1931. On the reverse of the lubrication chart for the Seven is a similar chart for 12, 16 and 20 models.

Steve
(14-11-2018, 09:18 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: I have a very similar publication to Robert's but with the the words 'Issued by Vacuum Oil Company Ltd.' on the bottom of the front cover. Mobile and Vacuum Oil Co were/became one and the oil recommended throughout the publication is Mobile. As well as the Seven, it also covers the 12/4, 16/6, 20/4 and 20/6 models but not the '...latest production of the Austin Motor Co Ltd,' the 12/6, which would appear to date it late 1930/early 1931. On the reverse of the lubrication chart for the Seven is a similar chart for 12, 16 and 20 models.

Steve

Mobiloil was the lubricant brand name for the then Vacuum Oil Company (which later became Socony Vacuum then Mobil now ExxonMobil)

The early Lubrication charts supplied in an envelope with the car (the lovely green garage charts) were I believe  printed by Longbridge but by the 30's I think that the Austin Motor Company had done a deal with Castrol to provide a red on cream smaller chart, still in an envelope with each car.

I have a late envelope code marked L.C.-5 J-(37-28)-2/37 containing a C.C. Wakefield Lubrication Chart.

All the other oil company charts were similar but I suspect not marked approved.

Tony.
These are brilliant, thank you for sharing.
Tony B. yes there is a point that the dipstick lands on in the gearbox. A bit unnerving when putting it in wondering if it will stop, or just disappear into the gearbox. I hold on very tight until I feel it 'land'.
For the 3 speed gearbox the engine dipstick full mark is correct for engine & gearbox Tony, and your chart is for a SWB car, there's no centre longitudinal.
(15-11-2018, 09:57 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: For the 3 speed gearbox the engine dipstick full mark is correct for engine & gearbox Tony, and your chart is for a SWB car, there's no centre longitudinal.

I accept that I'm viewing the illustration on a 37" TV monitor, but I can see a central longitudinal Dave - just, if you look very closely above the offside chassis rail and of course it's got a rear tank.
As I sed, the drawing is an artist drawing. And open to an amounts of interpretation.

There is a centre bar.
A forward facing starter.
I beleive a 4 speed crash box.
As a drawing it does make the rad shell look like an intermediate "chummy type" but I think it's actually a tall rad.
The advance and retard levers are PRE RP saloon. No bakalight cover.

And we're it gets interesting, is YES it has a rear mounted tank. 

When I ran the business as central 7s with wayne rushin. 25 years ago. We had two scrap cars in at the same time. They were 5 body numbers apart. One an RN and one an RP. BOTH CARS had several parts on them that were wrong, BUT all the parts were mirror image to each car.

I can remember the RN had a rear mounted tank, and had never been drilled for a bulkhead tank.
And the RP had a bulkhead mounted tank.

The rear body lines were also swapped on both cars.

And the instruments were also opposit, as the dash panels are different. This must have been done in manufacture.

I always felt it must have been a monday morning in BRUM, and with four lines running at the same time at longbridge the parts had been mixed as the two cars were being built. Side by side.

But perhaps not and there are more out there.

We learn something new every day.

Tony.

Also notice it has a 26va carb on the engine section.

And my favourite, the section of rear axle is drawn without backplates. Making it look like a 1923 axle.

Loads of fun!

Tony.