The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The symptoms of a 3 bearing crank failure?
Hi Mr f,
Sounds like you have Reliant shells (and maybe 600/750cc OHV shells), the other difference being the oil groove being straight round the shell rather than at an angle. After drilling holes where you want them you can either trim the tag off and reform one in the 'Austin' position or you can make a new slot in the bearing housing to suit the Reliant tag - a small cutting wheel in a Dremel with a steady hand will do this. I believe the major dimensions of the Austin and Reliant shells are the same, but I'm open to being corrected. Your 2thou clearance sounds about right, do you know the housing did deform/spread sideways nipping vertically - from Plastigauge checks? I've experienced the same effect and wondered whether the increasing tension increases the nip of the shells and swells them at the join nipping the journal horizontally? I use 35ft.lb and wouldn't want to go less than 30 on threads this size?
Dave

Messages In This Thread
RE: The symptoms of a 3 bearing crank failure? - by Speedex750 - 10-12-2018, 05:42 PM