The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do people want from an Austin Seven club these days?
I'm 30 and have been around Austin Sevens since I was around 9-10 years old when my late grandfather purchased his Chummy. I did John O'Groats to Lands End with him when I was 12/13 and various events over the years. I didn't drive one for the first time until 3 years ago.

My interests have since expanded somewhat to Lorries, Road Steam and Veteran Cars.

When the Chummy was acquired Grandfather (Tony Brown) joined the Cambridge Austin Seven & Vintage Car Club. I have fond memories of some of the members back then and some of the events. Being part of such an inclusive and friendly club greatly enhanced and I firmly believe prolonged my grandfathers life. He was active as a club committee member and rarely missed an event back in the day.

Upon his passing I took up his membership of the Club and after attending a couple of events made the mistake of attending the AGM, which lead to me joining the committee!

For me the Cambridge Club is everything you could really want. It is friendly and welcoming, nobody really minds what car you turn up in (we've had lorries, Morris 1000's and other non period vehicles at various events). The noggin nights are well attended, we even manage two a month in summer. Advice is always on hand and freely given. Various club members are happy to undertake garage work for a small fee. There are several runs a year, and the club often gets a convoy together to Beaulieu.

My youngest sister is 21 and is now insured to drive the Chummy as well. She's joined the club but lives a bit further away and is probably a little young to fully appreciate its benefits. She does enjoy the events she come along to though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do people want from an Austin Seven club these days? - by Adam Brown - 29-10-2018, 05:24 PM