The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do people want from an Austin Seven club these days?
I've been a member of PWA7C for 30 years or more. It does what I need but these days I'm not involved in it much. I've been the Club's National Membership Secretary (twice) and I've been their local West Yorkshire Group Secretary but I've moved on. Probably moved back would be better as my interest these days is in competitive motor sport which is where I started 50 years ago. The VSCC provides most of my competition these days and I'm heavily involved there. They also provide competitive events where I share my cars with my 21 year old Grandson who has old cars throughout his DNA and earns his living repairing, restoring, maintaining and preparing them. Imagine, he gets (very well) paid for doing that!!  Local road runs aren't of any real interest but Malcolm's more comprehensive trips are great. My only problem with them is fitting them in with my other activities! I'm with Charles when it comes to sitting in fields with a laminated card on the front of the car. Fine if it's your thing but I'd rather watch paint dry. Controversially, I'm with Terry McGrath when it comes to Clubs. For many years I've believed that one, national, Club with a multitude of local groups is the way to go but I'm well aware that that is very much a minority view.

I think the internet has changed things significantly. Traditionally, if you had a problem and didn't have anyone you knew locally to ask, you wrote to your Club magazine and waited for an answer. Now, a post on a forum such as this or a Google search gets you the answer in minutes. As a friend once said, '..it's like having all your old car mates living in the same street as you'. 

Steve (67, retired and incredibly busy)

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do people want from an Austin Seven club these days? - by Steve Jones - 28-10-2018, 01:11 PM