The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do people want from an Austin Seven club these days?
I'm not currently a member of any Austin 7 club. I'm still in my third decade.

Same goes with my othet hobbies. Im not in any steam engine club either, other than the Road Locomotive Society which is more about history and research and not at all about events.

Mostly I enjoy the cars in isolation. I use them for days out. Picking the daughter up from school. Use when the modern is in the garage etc. Though I do take them to 'events', with one exception we take them to the sort of event that you can come and go as you please. There is a local 'Pride & Joy' event at a villiage hall on one evening a month throughout the summer months. Burger van. Bar. All sorts of stuff. Also we go to the odd 'breakfast meet'. Again not neccassarily organised for pre war tackle, but for all sorts.

I also usually take one car to the biggest steam rally we attend with the steamer. Not entered. I simply use it as transport to the shops etc as im there nearly a week. Having driven the steamer there. Its not the sort of thing you can go and fetch a pint of milk from the petrol station with.

So frankly. Im not a club member because they offer very little to me. I wouldnt really bother with any of the events. I know enough the get by without technical articles in magazines. And the internet is of great use when my knowledge is lacking, or I lack spares.

I think this is a trend. Its not just me. The rise in firstly discussion forums such as this, which is now being superseeded by social media means that younger people interested in things tend to go for the internet search first and foremost. Often Facebook is the go-to medium.

Im guessing your post and question is because many special interest clubs are reporti g similar issues. Older demographic. Young blood not interested. The world is changing. Im old.enough to still be into the discussion fora that started the move from clubs. The milenials that followed me dont seem to be interested in anything but social media. Even im behind the times. No instagram or twitter here.

The only thing that I would like to do more of is the sort of run Mike mentions above. Its very difficult to hear of them without being a club member. Trouble is even then you dont here what other clubs are doing. I was a member of the midlands club for 12 months. And did their Autum Leaves run as it tied in well with being based at the in laws. Two broken wheel studs finished the day early but it was great fun.

Clubs widely advertising these runs and making them open to non members would probably do no harm to membership numbers. Advertise them here or on the 2 or 3 popular Austin 7 facebook pages for best impact.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do people want from an Austin Seven club these days? - by Hedd_Jones - 28-10-2018, 01:09 PM