The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bouncing rear !
I've stripped and replaced the damper wooden discs on the rear,  slightly less bouncy but bottoms out when its 2 up, can anything else be done ?  I think I've notice on Ruairidhs  Pearl some vertical coil springs ?
I have knobby spring assisters fitted to the Chummy - they clamp around the axle tubes and up to the floor below the seat.

Willie McKenzie (Austin Reproduction Parts) sell them new.

I fitted them because we are five up, luggage trunk and trailer - if you are bottoming out two-up then you really need to consider new springs!
(22-10-2018, 05:24 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I have knobby spring assisters fitted to the Chummy - they clamp around the axle tubes and up to the floor below the seat.

Willie McKenzie (Austin Reproduction Parts) sell them new.

I fitted them because we are five up, luggage trunk and trailer - if you are bottoming out two-up then you really need to consider new springs!

Thanks R, I wondered about the springs but the car sits level,  or wouldn't that make a difference ?
Springs in good order should make the car sit 'up' at the back and hold four people without bottoming.

I fear yours have lost their spring!
(22-10-2018, 05:47 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Springs in good order should make the car sit 'up' at the back and hold four people without bottoming.

I fear yours have lost their spring!

That looks to be the problem then,  Thanks R
Can you get new rear springs ?
(22-10-2018, 07:40 PM)morrisminor Wrote: Can you get new rear springs ?

Dunford Senior at Vintage A7 services sells them.
Mine were bottoming out over bumps, but level, in other words equally saggy.
I replaced them and the car sat about 40MM higher and hasn't bottomed out since.
There are lots of bits of advice here about how to get the old ones out. The method that worked for me was to loosen the bolts and then drive around for a couple of miles bouncing as is on a hill climb. Result was that they slipped out no problem.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Hellomorrisminor.
I have new springs in stock for most Austin Seven models.
But not Morris Minors I’m afraid.
Ian Dunford.
iandunford@blueyonder.co.uk