The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camshaft end float
As previously stated I needed to fix the front bush.
Now fixed the bush.
Needed 3 hands and a dentist mirror to get the central bush in !!!
What the best method to reduce end float at the moment 0.007”
Regard
          Tim
Tim,

Do you have a copy of the 2018C A7CA Magazine?
Best method is in the vice!
Not got the A7CA
I am guessing I need to remove metal from the taper.
Is it best to work on the gear or the shaft ?
There is a lovely article in the Magazine that will help you - let me see if I am allowed to post it up.
Hi Tim
With only .007” endfloat I'd follow Hedd's advice to nip it up tight and see where you get to. If this doesn't do the trick, this is what I did:
I used fine valve grinding paste to lap the gear onto the camshaft taper (so removing material from both components) until the endfloat when assembled with the gear run up hard on the taper but without tightening the nut was a bit over .010”. I left the Woodruff key out when testing the gap.
Nipping the nut up tight (but not dogging it down with a breaker bar) produced the required .002” endfloat. Go steady with the lapping as it doesn't take long to remove material. This worked for me.
I haven't checked my Woodrow, but I'm pretty sure this is the method he recommends.
Colin
Colin
Many thanks for a very clear and super reply.
I will try and report back.
Tim
Tim,

In addition to the above, I now have permission to share the article from the A7CA Magazine, which I will do later if nobody else comes back with it sooner.

Tim,

are you a member of an A7 Club?