The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Oversize gudgeon pins
Did someone mention oversize gudgeon pins to help out worn little end eyes?

Or did I dream that?

And, if I didn't dream it, who supplies them?

Cheers,

Simon
Hi Simon,
I suspect a good second hand rod would be wiser.
If you have the little end machined you will also have to have the pistons machined to suit which will mean more work and expense.
If the little ends are worn that means the pinch bolt has been loose or broken.
This often leads to the rod splitting downwards from the gudgeon pin, so get your rods crack tested before any work is done on them.
You might find a rod that just needs to be bored to suit your crankshaft if you are lucky.

Best of Luck Dickie
Would 13mm pins as fitted to Renault and Honda piston's be any help to you?
Black Art Enthusiast
(16-10-2018, 05:56 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: Did someone mention oversize gudgeon pins to help out worn little end eyes?

Or did I dream that?

And, if I didn't dream it, who supplies them?

Cheers,

Simon

I have a new set of pistons .020” oversize, .002” gudgeon pins, they are old stock Hepolite.
You would need get your rods honed to size.
How can one hone a clamp type split rod little end ??
(16-10-2018, 10:16 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: How can one hone a clamp type split rod little end ??

Don’t think you can, the OS pins I have are fully floating.
Apologies for the time taken to come back to this, I've been busy on other things.

13mm pins would fix it - where do I get them, what do I ask for?

Thanks

Simon
(22-10-2018, 03:13 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: Apologies for the time taken to come back to this, I've been busy on other things.

13mm pins would fix it - where do I get them, what do I ask for?

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon

Here are some genuine Honda ones https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/honda-gx10...n-pin.html
Obviously you will need to ream your pistons and small ends to 13mm, I Would suggest you use a LH spiral fluted HSS hand reamer.I am assuming you have clamp bolt conrods, if they are fully floating rods then it would be better to get them honed,but you can’t hone the pistons as you are likely to get abrasive material impregnated in the aluminium.
Thanks for that, it will save a set of rods, I hope.

Simon
Simon,

in your shoes, I would be looking to source another rod.

However if you do proceed as discussed above, remember you will need clamp type gudgeon pins.