The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Trafficator Switch - How Does it Cancel?
I am making a slow start on my Seven, starting with the indicator switch: an odd choice, perhaps....

I have fitted a replacement operating arm and knob, both of which had been removed at some stage. However, I cannot work out how it is meant to cancel. Although the thing is a bit stiff, it is freeing up slowly, having been sprayed with dry-lube. Before I dismantle it any further to clean the contacts and clear out the grease that is in it, I should like to be a bit more aware of how it is meant to operate.

Can anyone explain, please?

Jamie.
Cancel - That must have been the deluxe model. My old Ruby didn't have 'self cancel' you did it yourself.
Bob,

It might have been as it had the sunroof, once. It had been replaced with a sheet of aluminium, which had holes in it as well.....

Jamie.
I have never used one, but I think there are a couple of "L" shaped brackets inside the top of the steering wheel which I guess are supposed to catch on the switch mechanism and cancel it.

S
http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...%20Repair/

This may both explain and assist in resolving. There is a small wide u shaped insert in the steering wheel that hits the levers that pop out...
A very comprehensive article.  The only things it doesn't show are the small lugs inside the centre of the steering wheel which engage with the mechanism.  I have seen some that are cast in, others that were riveted.  To work properly, the wheel must be oriented so that the uppermost spoke is vertical when the car is going straight ahead, in other words the driver sees an upside-down "Y" shape.  This handily obscures the speedo when you are doing 30, but it must have been designed that way !
Thank you for the suggestions, comments and link to the Cornwall site. What I could not work out was how the u-shaped bracket in the wheel cancelled the signal. Having looked carefully at the photographs, it seems that someone had, at some point, dismantled the mechanism and reassembled it back to front. I imagine that it was when the operating arm and knob were removed and the wires taped up.

I have now dismantled it all, cleaned and lubricated it and reassembled the device. Although not in the car yet, it does now cancel if I move the arms, which it did not do when I started.

Thank you.

Jamie.
The finished item.