The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
soft brake linings?
I have one example of a new slightly woven type material lining beige/greyish which I understood were the best things for Austin 7 stopping. Its probably quite old.

I've recently bought a set from A7W and they don't appear woven.. more composite... do I need to search further or are these modern blueish ones just as good these days? 

Be interested to know from people who have more experience..
Jon,

Some brake lining information in this recent thread.

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...ke+linings

Jeff.
ok, that's very useful thank-you.
Can I assume that the cherished suppliers don't do this sort of woven lining generally? The other ones I have are of course very good value... but I want to maximise my 1" uncoupled braking experience!!
I have woven soft linings from A7Components.
Jim
thanks...
I also am running on woven linings from A7Components and am very pleased with them.
There is some discussion on model A ford forums about this. Apparently woven linings are better for steel drums and composite/moulded linings are better on cast iron.
I've never tried woven linings but they have brass fibres in them which I wouldn't think would be great for friction.
I've just bought some cast iron drums from Tony and am going to try them with some of the grey composite linings, possibly bonded onto the shoes with epoxy in addition to the rivets to make sure they stay put.
Hi Guys,
Why is it that on my 20's black rad. 1" uncoupled braked Seven the rear grey compressed linings try their hardest to lock up the wheels, but the gold woven front linings allow the car to happily stroll down slopes when parked with the brake lever on as hard as possible (pull wise but spare teeth to click if I could pull harder).
Not logical captain, duff soft linings or not set up correctly somewhere?.  Front linings have been subjected to the old drum and sandpaper tweak to get the linings level.
Replies more than welcome.
Peter

All brakes carefully assembled, the fronts having been given the old drum and sand paper treatment to get all the linings as level as possible
(27-09-2018, 04:45 PM)peter burton Wrote: Hi Guys,
Why is it that on my 20's black rad. 1" uncoupled braked Seven the rear grey compressed linings try their hardest to lock up the wheels, but the gold woven front linings allow the car to happily stroll down slopes when parked with the brake lever on as hard as possible (pull wise but spare teeth to click if I could pull harder).
Not logical captain, duff soft linings or not set up correctly somewhere?.  Front linings have been subjected to the old drum and sandpaper tweak to get the linings level.
Replies more than welcome.
Peter

All brakes carefully assembled, the fronts having been given the old drum and sand paper treatment to get all the linings as level as possible

Peter,

I think that is down to the design of the front brakes more than the choice of linings. The combination of twisting front axle and flex in the radius arms and cross member tends to counteract the force applied to the brake levers.
Thanks Tom. So it's not time yet to throw away the parking block then! [Image: confused.png]
All the best, Peter
ps. no idea why my post appeared twice.