The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the subject of overpriced sporting replicas
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1925-Le-Mans-...SwPjhbqlzv

I would have probably preferred it unpainted.
'...that may have been used in this period and shipped overseas with the car.'

Ah, what a useful word is 'may'.
Nice box / chest as such and indeed seller had it better left unpainted as it is NOT the real McCoy so it is once again an item for a 'would be' poseur kinda person. No doubt in due time it will be passed off by someone who cannot prove any provenance but nevertheless will claim it has been 'unearthed' after many years under the radar blablabla etcetera , just like too many cars that have a 'history' that is concocted and full of conjecture such to lure someone into paying way over the odds ....
Thé Word "representing" in the description tells you its a fake.
All original except for new wood and handles. The air inside "may" of been at Le Mans.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
" There will not be another identical one rolling off the production line! "

Sounds like there will be more out soon, perhaps a collectors series!
While the description in the listing makes it clear that this is.....what?.....a "fantasy antique"?, Michael D is right to point out that in the future someone may well try to pass it off as genuine.

30 years ago, I briefly worked for a firm that sold this sort of stuff, much of it made from upcycled victorian floorboards. All of it was carefully labelled - is an "Antique Pine Cabinet" an Antique {Pine Cabinet}, or an {Antique Pine} Cabinet? My boss's policy was that if the customer didn't ask, they weren't to be told. One of the reasons that I left!

The usual giveaway is that the creators never seem to be able to resist going over the top with detail. Would an Austin works toolbox really have had so much information on it? I think not.
This is where the 'antique' business is going gents. Fake patina for the pretentious. It leaves all the good stuff for those of us who appreciate it for what it is.
Allegedly the GE trunks were made from plywood scavenged from worthless tatty Cup and Brooklands models left lying around the workshop. And they were originally polished with nose-side grease from the great man himself.
Forgive me for being lazy and not checking the source material available. I was wondering if the logo on the top in use in 1925 or did it only appear with the Ruby?