The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing gears /coil engine with noise
Hello, again here putting back my tuned Austin Seven.

I am testing the engine on a test bench, but the timing gears are very noisy at low speed,

there is play on the gears but doesn't seems so that much to justify the noise.

Is it normal or should i think of replacing?

I see they are not reproduced, is there anyone that had a spare set available for sale?

thank you  Smile Smile Smile Smile
What work have you done to the engine ?
If its a coil engine take the rectangular cover off the dynamo housing (Briefly) when its running to see if there is an adequate oil supply to the gears.
If you are using different timing gears/mismatched gears they could be noisy,but if they are cast iron (original gears) they will get more quiet when they bed together.If you have a high lift cam they will run noisier.
(20-09-2018, 10:56 AM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: What work have you done to the engine ?
If its a coil engine take the rectangular cover off the dynamo housing (Briefly) when its running to see if there is an adequate oil supply to the gears.
If you are using different timing gears/mismatched gears they could be noisy,but if they are cast iron (original gears) they will get more quiet when they bed together.If you have a high lift cam they will run noisier.

If this has just been bored/ new Pistons don't run on a test bench it will glaze the bores.
It could be end float on the camshaft. That is also noisy.
Jim
I agree with Austin above. Check the camshaft end float easy enough to do. Some people like Hedd Jones who subscribes to this forum can get the camshaft in and out whilst the block and crankcase are still bolted together.

John Mason
Thank you, unfortunately after all checkings (camshaft is NEW with modified lifters, remade new at HIGH price) 
oil is also correctly coming, the play is 2-3mm at the flywheel which is definitely too much.

Is there someone that has a spare NOS timing gears for sale? Or which seller do you suggest?

seems they are not in the catalogue off the shelf anymore... Dodgy Dodgy
If your camshaft has been reground you need to carefully check that the followers are staying in contact with the base circle, two things can happen. If you have not shortened the follower guides the tappet lock nut will prevent the follower remaining in contact with the base circle. And/or, it the cam has been reground with a narrow wheel the follower foot might be too wide and riding on the shoulder formed when reground rather than the base circle.
Black Art Enthusiast
Most of the good pairs of gears have been bought by people who have had the Accuspark Dynomator ruin their gears.
(20-09-2018, 08:55 PM)Nigel Ricardo Wrote: Most of the good pairs of gears have been bought by people who have had the Accuspark Dynomator ruin their gears.

Really! I saw numerous at the international Autojumble.
There is no shortage of good gears

(20-09-2018, 08:41 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: If your camshaft has been reground you need to carefully check that the followers are staying in contact with the base circle, two things can happen. If you have not shortened the follower guides the tappet lock nut will prevent the follower remaining in contact with the base circle. And/or, it the cam has been reground with a narrow wheel the follower foot might be too wide and riding on the shoulder formed when reground rather than the base circle.

Ian, good points well made.The cam is said to be new, not reground so should be full width lobes.
Hopefully shortened guides otherwise how can you set up the timing corectly with a degree wheel.
(20-09-2018, 08:18 PM)borchi1 Wrote: Thank you, unfortunately after all checkings (camshaft is NEW with modified lifters, remade new at HIGH price) 
oil is also correctly coming, the play is 2-3mm at the flywheel which is definitely too much.

Is there someone that has a spare NOS timing gears for sale? Or which seller do you suggest?

seems they are not in the catalogue off the shelf anymore... Dodgy Dodgy
What do you mean ,Play at flywheel is 2-3mm ?
Have you had a new camshaft made ?
I can help you with new gears if you need them.