The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prefix letters on body stamping: when did they start?
A recent thread discussed stamping the prefix BODY letters and body number on the transmission tunnel. Can any one add information to narrow down when this might have begun. Presently, the RL and AF series seems to have general evidence of letters being introduced.

Has anyone got an AE, RK, RF, Coupe or earlier car with any letter stamping on the front of the transmission tunnel?

If you can't use the forum reply system to post here, send an email eb65 (at) btinternet.com and I'll add information here.
My 1930 (August) AE has no letters stamped
Bryan
Barney Sharratt's Men and Motors of the Austin has a passing reference to body stampings: Frank Fletcher, who worked at Longbridge for almost fifty years, is quoted as saying: "My first job, at 16 years old in 1924, was making Seven Horse floors in South Works. When you finished you stamped your number on the tunnel to show who had done the job ..."

This suggests that at least for early cars, this was a quality control system,and presumably would not have been either a Body Number or a Car Number.
My March '30 AE has no letters either
My early RL (August 1930) has body letters.