The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indicators
Hello, iv'e fitted indicators to my wife's Austin 7 box saloon they are powered directly from the battery (6 volt) and they work perfectly until I start the engine then they flash intermittently or stay on continually. Has anyone had this happen and has anyone got any ideas what is the problem.
Regards
Graham
Graham

Could you provide a little more information. Are they LED or incandescent lamps? Is the flasher relay electronic or bi-metallic? Do you have a -ve running back from each lamp to the battery or are they connected via the body?

Electronic flasher relays with LED can be problematic when the engine is running.

There are a few different solutions out there. Willi Mackenzie sells a box of tricks for the purpose of driving LED indicators which also has a hazard switch I believe.

Peter
What is the measured voltage at the battery when the engine is running ? What are you using as the earth return. What flasher unit are you using.
Bob
Does your ammeter show a discharge when the engine is running?
Sevens with original distributors and plain plug leads radiate huge r.f interference. If the switching unit is electronic the hash may be triggering switching.
A capacitor here or there may cure but I am too out of touch to advise exactly.
(17-09-2018, 06:25 PM)Peter Johnson Wrote: Graham

Could you provide a little more information. Are they LED or incandescent lamps? Is the flasher relay electronic or bi-metallic? Do you have a -ve running back from each lamp to the battery or are they connected via the body?

Electronic flasher relays with LED can be problematic when the engine is running.

There are a few different solutions out there. Willi Mackenzie sells a box of tricks for the purpose of driving LED indicators which also has a hazard switch I believe.

Peter

Peter thanks for the reply, the relay is electronic the lamps are led and they are earthed through the vehicle.
I have exactly the same system running on a 6 volt Ariel leader and it works perfectly.

(17-09-2018, 07:31 PM)bob46320 Wrote: What is the measured voltage at the battery when the engine is running ?  What are you using as the earth return. What flasher unit are you using.
Bob

Bob thanks for your reply.
The running voltage is 8 to 9 volts, the earth is via the vehicle body and the flasher relay is electronic.

(17-09-2018, 09:53 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Does your ammeter show a discharge when the engine is running?

Chris.
The ammeter doesn't show a discharge.
Regards
Graham
I had a similar problem with my flashers after fitting an electronic flasher to my mag engine converted to Bosch distributor. Everything worked fine until I started the engine, then the flashers went mad.
Easy cure, contacted the manufacturer of the electronic flasher and they recommended their in line suppressor between coil and dizzy ,duly fitted and all is now fine.
Incidently doing the same conversion using my magneto fitted car upset nothing as the mag. is making the engine fire in it's own little world of power.
All the best, Peter
(17-09-2018, 06:25 PM)Peter Johnson Wrote: Graham

Peter

Update it appears the multi meter I was using is faulty, the actual voltage is 6.5 volts at tickover.
Regards
Graham
I have no problem with LED bulbs and electronic flasher unit. I know LEDS are very sensitive to earthing because of the low current they draw. All my light units are earthed with separate wires back to known good earth points.
Jim
(18-09-2018, 11:41 AM)peter burton Wrote: I had a similar problem with my flashers after fitting an electronic flasher to my mag engine converted to Bosch distributor. Everything worked fine until I started the engine, then the flashers went mad.
Easy cure, contacted the manufacturer of the electronic flasher and they recommended their in line suppressor between coil and dizzy ,duly fitted and all is now fine.
Incidently doing the same conversion using my magneto fitted car upset nothing as the mag. is making the engine fire in it's own little world of power.
All the best, Peter

Thanks for the advice, I've contacted the supplier of the flasher relay and they have put a suppressor in the post, fingers crossed.
Regards
Graham