The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP seat mounting
I'm restoring an extremely well used Jan 1934 RP saloon - not deluxe. 
As part of its well used history, the front seat mounts, cross member, hinges etc have gone, and the back seat cross members squashed flat.  The seats were sitting loose on blocks of wood.  Such is the life of an old car in New Zealand.
I've worked out how the back cross members should go, but I am in the dark as to the detail of the seat mountings.  I believe that the seats should be adjustable (they certainly were when I bought it) but all I have are a line of holes on each side of the seat frame.

Would anyone have details or perhaps photos that could help me please.  I would prefer photos of the driver's side as that would also show a little of how the battery wires go through the floor.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.
Slowly rebuilding a '34 RP
Cars sold as deluxe here did not have the sliding sun roof, just the smokers hatch. But retained leather upholstery, chrome headlamps, trafficators.
To adjust seats the hinge attachment bolts had to be removed and replaced in different position!
Attempting serious braking may have torn out the seat supports!
Thanks Bob. So it may be a deluxe as it (once) had a smoker's hatch and trafficators. The seat covers look like leather but I think it is imitation leather of the day.
This car must have had a hard life - the chassis had worn it's way completely through the floor on the driver' side and the body was almost off the chassis. It would have been like having your heels on two guillotines chopping away!
My RP was seriously rusted in the rear floor/inner gaurds when only 15 years old.
Two blokes drove a rough one UK to possibly Oz in the 1960s/70s and supporting the rear was the major challenge.
I dunno what experience you have but the door apertures are commonly distorted and easy  to lock this in when welding. There was a lengthy discussion some time ago about manipulating the door opening.
Have you been sufficently bold to examine the door interiors? You will be both dispirited and uplifted by photos posted by Martin Prior.
(17-09-2018, 10:39 AM)Graham O Wrote: I'm restoring an extremely well used Jan 1934 RP saloon - not deluxe. 
As part of its well used history, the front seat mounts, cross member, hinges etc have gone, and the back seat cross members squashed flat.  The seats were sitting loose on blocks of wood.  Such is the life of an old car in New Zealand.
I've worked out how the back cross members should go, but I am in the dark as to the detail of the seat mountings.  I believe that the seats should be adjustable (they certainly were when I bought it) but all I have are a line of holes on each side of the seat frame.

Would anyone have details or perhaps photos that could help me please.  I would prefer photos of the driver's side as that would also show a little of how the battery wires go through the floor.

Hi graham be interested to know where the rear seat mounts were my 32 model is on blocks of wood
(19-09-2018, 09:20 PM)Graham123 Wrote:
(17-09-2018, 10:39 AM)Graham O Wrote: I'm restoring an extremely well used Jan 1934 RP saloon - not deluxe. 

Hi graham be interested to know where the rear seat mounts were my 32 model is on blocks of wood

Hi Graham 123.  I marked out the remnants of the spot weld points to get the positions.  The vertical part of the rear cross beams  are 18 1/4 inches from the step in the floor pan to the back seat. The front and rear cross beams are 9 inches apart. I have attached a photo of what was left of the best of my back cross beams. It is a view taken of the bottom of the passenger's one, some is missing on the right where it had connected to the car body by the door.  The holes along the bottom flange were where the spot welds broke or were drilled out.   I hope this helps.