The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine mounting 1932 RN saloon
My 1932 RN saloon engine mountings are bolted directly to the chassis (without rubber pads).  When I first fitted the engine and subsequently, I bolt the rear mountings of the engine tight to the chassis, the front mountings I leave them loose (ie: finger tight  and then one turn less). This I was told minimises stress from the crankcase as the chassis twists (under duress).

What does the team think.

Bob
(16-09-2018, 12:16 PM)bob46320 Wrote: My 1932 RN saloon engine mountings are bolted directly to the chassis (without rubber pads).  When I first fitted the engine and subsequently, I bolt the rear mountings of the engine tight to the chassis, the front mountings I leave them loose (ie: finger tight  and then one turn less). This I was told minimises stress from the crankcase as the chassis twists (under duress).

Bob
My RNs have the front nearside and rear offside bolts fitted with an 1/8" washer under these engine feet ever since I found how much the chassis twists in use.
(16-09-2018, 12:16 PM)bob46320 Wrote: My 1932 RN saloon engine mountings are bolted directly to the chassis (without rubber pads).  When I first fitted the engine and subsequently, I bolt the rear mountings of the engine tight to the chassis, the front mountings I leave them loose (ie: finger tight  and then one turn less). This I was told minimises stress from the crankcase as the chassis twists (under duress).

Bob

I use a long bolt with valve spring under compression on both rear mountings — more effective than just the front mountings I think. Diagonal sounds good too.

Charles
(20-09-2018, 06:14 PM)Dave Mann Wrote:

Bob
My RNs have the front nearside and rear offside bolts fitted with an 1/8" washer under these engine feet ever since I found how much the chassis twists in use.
Dave,
Are you saying that statically there was clearance between engine mount and chassis at these points?
Alan
(20-09-2018, 07:34 PM)Jack in the Box Wrote:
(20-09-2018, 06:14 PM)Dave Mann Wrote:

Bob
Dave,
Are you saying that statically there was clearance between engine mount and chassis at these points?
Alan
My quandary is similar (but different!). My 32 AG engine has home (well) made flexible mountings -and a 4 speed box- This raises the nose of the engine & the top of the starting handle hole is too close to the nose & handle for my liking. The radiator shell was raised on several washers to allow for this, but this puts the bonnet nose up a bit too much for my liking.
I also find that the bottom radiator brackets do not meet the hole in the shell for the front fixing... a lot of unintended consequences I think! 
David
I bolt mine down with 4 bolts as Austin intended.....
Yes there is a gap under the front offside and rear nearside feet of about 1/8". I've yet to find a non rubber mount crankcase where the feet aren't seriously fretted such that the four feet are not all in the same plane.
(21-09-2018, 04:38 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I bolt mine down with 4 bolts as Austin intended.....

So, just the four bolts under the feet that also take the no plate brackets?
What are the two holes in the front of the shell & two 1/4BSF holes tapped in the vertical face of the mounting (that don't quite match up!) for???
D
The offside rear should not be flexible, it has to take the thrust of your foot on the clutch pedal.
The other 3 can have a degree of play. Rigidly bolting all 4 to a standard frame can result in all kinds of engine bother in a car that's driven with enthusiasm, but possibly is o.k. on modern roads for gentle use.
Thanks Roger, I couldn't remember why opted for FNS and ROS configuration.