The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pilgrimage to Santiago di Compostella
Having just been back to the UK for a few days I had a few beers with a couple of old chums and during the chat I mentioned that one day I wanted to do the pilgrimage route to Santiago di Compostella in western Spain. Not on foot (my knees are too knackered for that) but in the Austin Seven. Having chatted about if for a while we decided it was a go-er and I've got a definite sign-up for a Co-Pilot and possibly also a galley slave to ride in the back.

From where we live in southern France, we're not that far off the actual route, which starts from St-Gilles between Nîmes and Arles. The return journey is in the region of 3000km and the plan is to try and get there in four days, stopping overnight south of Carcassonne then Pamplona, Leon and then Santiago following as close is as reasonably practicable to the waymarked pilgrimage route.

The plan is to do it in late summer/early autumn 2018 after the schools have gone back and the weather has cooled down.

The first day's run (280km) will take us to a little village to the south west of Carcassonne - there's someone there who I know who has a gîte/ B&B. The second day will be a longer run (430km) ending in Pamplona and crossing the Pyrenées from Oloron-Sainte-Marie via the Pic d'Orhy at 2017 metres (just because we can, and providing the pass is open). After an overnight in (or around) Pamplona we will have another long stint (again 430km) to get us to Leon and then the final day to Santiago di Compostella will take a further 340km. Roughly 1480km in total.

This will be a good challenge to my 85 year old RP saloon. It will be carrying three adults and luggage, plus a few spares. We'll be on our own with no back-up apart from a mobile phone.
I'll keep you updated as to progress as things develop.
(30-08-2017, 08:51 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Having just been back to the UK for a few days I had a few beers with a couple of old chums and during the chat I mentioned that one day I wanted to do the pilgrimage route to Santiago di Compostella in western Spain. Not on foot (my knees are too knackered for that) but in the Austin Seven. Having chatted about if for a while we decided it was a go-er and I've got a definite sign-up for a Co-Pilot and possibly also a galley slave to ride in the back.

From where we live in southern France, we're not that far off the actual route, which starts from St-Gilles between Nîmes and Arles. The return journey is in the region of 3000km and the plan is to try and get there in four days, stopping overnight south of Carcassonne then Pamplona, Leon and then Santiago following as close is as reasonably practicable to the waymarked pilgrimage route.

The plan is to do it in late summer/early autumn 2018 after the schools have gone back and the weather has cooled down.

The first day's run (280km) will take us to a little village to the south west of Carcassonne - there's someone there who I know who has a gîte/ B&B. The second day will be a longer run (430km) ending in Pamplona and crossing the Pyrenées from Oloron-Sainte-Marie via the Pic d'Orhy at 2017 metres (just because we can, and providing the pass is open). After an overnight in (or around) Pamplona we will have another long stint (again 430km) to get us to Leon and then the final day to Santiago di Compostella will take a further 340km. Roughly 1480km in total.

This will be a good challenge to my 85 year old RP saloon. It will be carrying three adults and luggage, plus a few spares. We'll be on our own with no back-up apart from a mobile phone.
I'll keep you updated as to progress as things develop.

Reckless - I happen to have just finished reading Tim Moore's hilariously funny book ' Spanish Steps - Travels with my donkey' about his journey on the Camino. Might be worth having a read of it as there are undoubtedly places worth seeing - and a few you might wish to avoid.
Very interesting article in this month's Automobile magazine on driving ( in a de Tomaso Pantera ) through the Picos de Europa National Park. What appears to be a lovely and largely traffic free area and used by pilgrims travelling the Santiago di Compostella trail.

Chris.

.jpg   IMG_1511.JPG (Size: 106.26 KB / Downloads: 499)

The Picos is a fantastic area to explore in a Seven.

Whilst your trip is possible in four days I would be tempted to make it quite a bit longer stopping to explore the Pyrenees and the Picos, the coast to north of these is very interesting and well worth a visit as well.
(31-08-2017, 08:14 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The Picos is a fantastic area to explore in a Seven.

Whilst your trip is possible in four days I would be tempted to make it quite a bit longer stopping to explore the Pyrenees and the Picos, the coast to north of these is very interesting and well worth a visit as well.

I agree Ruairidh but I suspect that her who must be obeyed (and who won't subject herself to any more than about 1/2 hour in the A7) might have other ideas... Sad
A small car on interesting roads my limit would be 200km even then it would be about 4 hours driving, it might be fun for the driver the passengers may revolt.
Cheers

Mark
(31-08-2017, 09:26 AM)Mark McKibbin Wrote: A small car on interesting roads my limit would be 200km even then it would be about 4 hours driving, it might be fun for the driver the passengers may revolt.

Fortune favours the brave. I've done long runs in the RP before. I drove it down here from Sheffield (3 up) in 2001 and that took 3 1/2 days (roughly 1000 miles). I've also done here to Nice in the day then up and over the Col de la Bonnette and back home the following day. OK it's a bit tiring but 250 miles a day is possible. I  will stop every 2hrs or so for a leg stretch and coffee fix and with three drivers on board it's no big deal (as long as you've got ear plugs!).
I would agree with that Mark - we prefer to cover around 100 miles on a travel day. In the mountains this can take a lot longer than 4 hours, my daughters and wife often endure 9 hour days on our trips. To be fair, they enjoy it (and in the case of the girls they know no different) but I recognise it is not for everyone.
(31-08-2017, 09:40 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I would agree with that Mark - we prefer to cover around 100 miles on a travel day.  In the mountains this can take a lot longer than 4 hours, my daughters and wife often endure 9 hour days on our trips.  To be fair, they enjoy it (and in the case of the girls they know no different) but I recognise it is not for everyone.

I'm with you as well, except this isn't meant to be a holiday - it's a pilgrimage. You're meant to suffer!
I've been in my garage today looking at some relics, does that count as a pilgrimage?

Sound like an interesting trip.