The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books and lubricants
Hello 

Firstly I would like to introduce myself, my name is Mark and have recently become an Austin 7 Ulster Rep owner. Could any one recommend any books to buy that will help with the general upkeep, maintenance etc. I do have the workshop Bible and the Pittman’s guide to Austin 7. Also could anyone recommend the various oils, greases, lubricants etc.
Many Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark, and welcome.

As far as books are concerned the one 'must have' in my view is the 750 Companion. Doug Woodrow's manual is useful too. John Platt's Catalogue available in repro now I think is useful for understanding how bits go together and the different variations.

Everyone has their own views on oils! I use Duckhams 20W/50 in my engine, and have done for decades. Only ever use engine oil in the gearbox - again 20W/50 or perhaps SAE 30, but nothing heavier. In the back axle I use a straight (non-EP) SAE 140 oil. I use Castrol LM for most greasing applications. Some advocate using oil instead of grease for kingpins, just to make sure it penetrates well.  

The only thing I'd add is be careful putting a modern detergent oil in an engine which has been run a long time on non-detergent oils without a rebuild, as dirt can be dislodged.

I feel confident someone will now tell you to use non-detergent straight SAE 30 or 40 in your engine. It's your call but be careful warming up, which is when 90% of bearing wear occurs.
Mark.  Welcome to the fold. I would suggest that you also locate and join your local Austin Seven club. They will have plenty of members willing to share their knowledge and experience. The Austin Seven Clubs Association would be a good place to start and have an excellent website.
(12-09-2018, 04:02 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Hi Mark, and welcome.

As far as books are concerned the one 'must have' in my view is the 750 Companion. Doug Woodrow's manual is useful too. John Platt's Catalogue available in repro now I think is useful for understanding how bits go together and the different variations.

Everyone has their own views on oils! I use Duckhams 20W/50 in my engine, and have done for decades. Only ever use engine oil in the gearbox - again 20W/50 or perhaps SAE 30, but nothing heavier. In the back axle I use a straight (non-EP) SAE 140 oil. I use Castrol LM for most greasing applications. Some advocate using oil instead of grease for kingpins, just to make sure it penetrates well.  

The only thing I'd add is be careful putting a modern detergent oil in an engine which has been run a long time on non-detergent oils without a rebuild, as dirt can be dislodged.

I feel confident someone will now tell you to use non-detergent straight SAE 30 or 40 in your engine. It's your call but be careful warming up, which is when 90% of bearing wear occurs.

Hi Chris

Thank you for your reply and warm welcome. I’m not great at technology so please excuse any mistakes.
The advice is precisely what I had hoped for. I havnt stuck my head under a bonnet since cars became too complicated, but have thoroughly enjoyed playing with the A7, and hope to strip it all down and put it back together.
Very grateful for your advice
Mark
Hi mark, and welcome.

I've had Ulster reps, and have originals.

I think a must is chris gourds building an Ulster. It hay inspire to put bits that are wrong right.
Doug woodrow is as close as you would get to a Haynes manual.
Get a copy of Bill williams, plenty of sensible tuning ideas.
A copy of the companion, but be carefull. This is full of articles from club mags. You will spend a lot of time working out if FREDS mod really works.

Oils are easy, anything suggested above. You can use a cheap 20/50 in the engine and gearbox. But anything you use just make sure it has NO detergents in it. Back axle sae 140 again No detergents.

Personally I don't bother with local clubs anymore, there is very little enjoyment there. But for a Newby DO join, people will have a lot of knowledge.

Tony.
I used Duckhams 20W/50 for half a century but I haven't been able to get it for a decade, so where do you get it Chris?
Hi Tony and Dave
Much appreciated info. The little that I do know is believe it or not Halfords sell the 20/50 and my local car part shop sells the 30. I have been warned about the detergents but also making sure I let the engine warm up using the 30. !!? I do intend to get the car back to it’s almost original state but am torn between wanting to enjoy it, and I truly love driving it, and seeing it in its true glory.
(12-09-2018, 09:25 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: I used  Duckhams 20W/50 for half a century but I haven't been able to get it for a decade, so where do you get it Chris?

I have a small private stock Dave! And yes I know oils have a shelf life but I figure that doesn't apply to me!

It does appear to be available: https://www.duckhams.com/product/20w-50-engine-oil/

(12-09-2018, 10:17 PM)MSloggett Wrote: Hi Tony and Dave
Much appreciated info. The little that I do know is believe it or not Halfords sell the 20/50 and my local car part shop sells the 30. I have been warned about the detergents but also making sure I let the engine warm up using the 30. !!? I do intend to get the car back to it’s almost original state but am torn between wanting to enjoy it, and I truly love driving it, and seeing it in its true glory.

Non-detergent oil is the safe way to go, on the other hand if your engine has been properly rebuilt recently and is CLEAN inside there is nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your car - my vote is drive it!
I don't know if its exactly the same as before, it has "moderate detergency" but Duckhams 20w50 is available online from here:-

https://www.duckhams.com/product/20w-50-engine-oil/

Extract from data sheet:-

GENERAL DESCRIPTION PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS FEATURES AND BENEFITS ALEXANDER DUCKHAM & Co TECHNICAL DATA SHEET www.duckhams.com DATE 11/17 ISSUE 01 Duckhams Classic Q 20W-50, true to its history as “the engine’s choice” and recommended in a wide range of original owners’ handbooks, is the classic, premium grade, SAE 20W-50 engine oil. Duckhams Classic Q 20W-50 features an optimal level of ZDDP (“zinc”) anti-wear capability, moderate detergency and stay-in-grade shear stability designed specifically for petrol and diesel fuelled classic vehicles manufactured between 1950 and 1989 and is also suitable for older vehicles where full-flow cartridge filters have been retrofitted. Duckhams Classic Q 20W-50 is unsurpassed in controlling oil consumption, minimising deposits and maintaining oil pressure in older engines.

Duckhams Classic Q 20W-50 is formulated to provide excellent low temperature pumpability so that the oil flows freely and minimises wear at start-up, even at very low temperatures. Protection at operating temperature is assured. For reference, Duckhams invented, and perfected, multigrade oils in Europe. Timing gear and bearing life is maximised on account of the product’s excellent performance across the engine’s full operating temperature range, from cold start to operating temperature –Duckhams Classic Q 20W-50 is truly “the engine’s choice” Through careful selection of oxidation-stable base oils and additive technology, Duckhams Classic Q 20W-50 protects from bearing corrosion and prevents sludge build-up. Duckhams Classic Q 20W-50 is formulated specifically for vehicles manufactured from 1950 – 1989 and also older vehicles where full-flow cartridge filters have been retro-fitted. Optimised ZDDP (“zinc”) level for engine component wear protection is a leading feature of Duckhams Classic Q 20W-50
Ah that's interesting. When Castrol took over Duckhams I tried the Castrol Classic and that got dumped after 50 miles due to sticking exhaust valves to be replaced by Unipart 20/50 then they stopped making that. Now I've found Halfords classic 20/50 bears a similarity to Duckhams.