The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing Tourer on open trailer
Has anyone got any tips for towing a tourer on an open trailer re what to do with the roof and side curtains.

Clearly up to 40mph should be ok for the roof or is it just best to take the roof down and side curtains of an hope for not to much rain?
Could you not wrap it in a large tarpaulin and tie it up 'present like' to prevent any wind whipping away valuable screens etc?
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(08-09-2018, 08:25 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: Has anyone got any tips for towing a tourer on an open trailer re what to do with the roof and side curtains.

Clearly up to 40mph should be ok for the roof or is it just best to take the roof down and side curtains of an hope for not to much rain?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The big transporter company that brought my car back from Ireland would not transport it with hood up, full stop.
So we tied it all securely so it wouldn't catch the wind, and hoped for good weather.
Hi all thanks for the tips, there are some good ideas there.

Douglas
Probably the best thing is to fit a tonou cover.

I've brought several back from SCOTLAND to leicester, with no hood.

They have all gotten wet, the boattail was the worst in middle of winter. And torrential rain all the way home.

They are very sterdy cars, I dried out the cockpit the following day thoroughly. And it was fine.

The supersports was the same this year coming back from guildtown, we had a couple of down poors with hood down, dried the cockpit the following morning and it was fine.

There stronger than you think. If rain was a problem they would only make saloons.

Tony.
My advice would be 'go steady' - it wouldn't be the first A7 written off in a trailer incident.

Tonneau cover sounds good to me for protecting interior. A shower won't hurt much but it's not good for seats to get really soaked.
I've towed my Ulster and my Chummy Trials Car many thousands of miles with tonneaus fitted and never had any issues at all. I've also towed my Lea Francis Tourer with a tonneau, again without issue. However, I wouldn't tow a tourer with the hood raised. That sounds like asking for trouble!

Steve
I have seen many a paint job ruined by cars that have been covered on an open trailer - anything (straps, tarps, plastic sheeting, cloth sheets etc.) touching the paint will rub, you can guess the rest...

I am happy to tow my cars with the hoods up but I secure the side of frames onto the steering column or the scuttle lamp brackets on both sides - the securing clips on my cars are in very good working order, not all are so.

I have also see the aftermath of a hood coming adrift, it ripped the hood stays out of the body and severely bent the frame. If you are in any doubt as to the security of the hood, put it down and secure it so that it doesn't billow out and rip.
I concur with Ruairidh and have also seen paint work damaged by coverings rubbing, if you need to tow with the hood up why not put the car on the trailer facing backwards?
Black Art Enthusiast