The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long brake levers
Would fitting long brake levers to my AB tourer improve the braking?  There is certainly room on the front brakes.  Adventures out at the moment are a bit too much of an adventure!  I've tried roughing up the brake pads but that is not a long term solution. Any downsides?
The problem will be that your handbrake runs out of travel before the cam comes fully on Robin.
Robin, for what it's worth, I would suggest focussing your efforts on the general condition of the system. Friction and excessive play in all the various mechanical linkages all add up to poor braking. That and optimal adjustment, of course.
Thanks Guys.  If all else fails there's the foot out of the door technique..........
As Chris says the brakes need to be in good condition and set up so that the levers are ahead of the vertical and not going behind vertical when the brakes are applied. Soft linings are essential for good braking.
I have long levers on the front brakes (1929, split braking) but have made some modifications to get a bit more travel.
Jim
I have had no experience of divided brake cars, but does the above mean these have greater front leverage before  the cables reach the hub levers? This would suggest effective front brakes. One late authority here used to advocated for retention of split brakes.
I found that Girling brakes caused early light radius arms to flex  and shudder. If can get a strong pull on the divided front brake, with good linings does the same problem arise?
I can think of two arguments in favour of uncoupled brakes - one is that at least two of them should operate, as opposed to one on a poorly adjusted coupled system; the other that you get more leverage from the hand lever than from the foot pedal. I'm not about to rush out and uncouple mine though...
Bob, don't know what you mean by "cables reach the hub levers".
On split braked cars the handbrake travel is often limited by the hand lever reaching the end of the slot in the floor.
As my brakes are set up this does not happen and all the force goes into braking.
Jim
I prefer uncoupled brakes because they are easier to set up and, when coming down the Alps or Pyrenees etc. with a trailer, you can alternate between front and back as they catch fire.
The coupled handbrake can be set up for adequate travel. (The rear brakes will often provide the limit but must be many coupled set ups where this not the case.) If it runs out of travel, does this mean an inch of travel on the divided handbrake moves the front cable less? (ie more leverage, before considering any effect of hub lever length.)
Or are divided brake owners just more tolerant of a lot of movement in the radius rod ball joint??