The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Blind for 1932 RP
I've checked what's on the shelf.

I only have one blind fabric left, but enough of the other parts to make up between 5 and 10 complete blinds.

I should have enough parts to do around 15 Ruby.

Are they realistically worth putting time into making them up.

Anyone have an opinion on what they should sell for.

I have plenty of other stuff to do if they are not worth doing.

Tony.

[attachment=3755]
Hi Tony,Is that suitable with the fittings you have, for the 1932 RP Box? and how does it operate?
The pictures R put up in the thread shows how it's fitted.

It's simple, you rap the string round the pulley a few times. And when you pull it with the knob on the end of the string, the pulley winds up the blind.

The only bits not shown are the nylon string, and the eyelets to guide the string.

Tony.
As a stop-gap, but the reality is that it will probably be permanent, for my Ruby, I used a modern car "sun" blind, these are as cheap as chips (fiver) and surprisingly not that badly made. The bar is metal, but the mounting clips are plastic but not really that intrusive. I got a blind to the correct width of the window and then cut the mesh down to the right drop, keeps the bulk to a minimum when furled.

I haven't gotten around to replacing the mesh for fabric (left-over headlining), but in terms of its fitness for purpose with preventing dazzle from following car headlights it works a treat. Spring-loaded so it retracts neatly when finished using.

I have got the cream plastic knob & hook for the knob that Tony shows in his photo - I don't know what original ones looked like, probably a wooden knob, the plastic is a bit crude but adequate, I think I got them for about a tenner - expensive for what probably cost just pennies to make.

Tony, in terms of pricing, as a kit of parts from a single supplier (no fabric), you asked for opinions and mine is a reasonable price would be about £12.00-£15.00, plus profit of course.

I would not have thought it worth the effort making up the fabric section for a kit as cars will have different finishes and a generic fabric will not necessarily match in. 

[attachment=3760]
Thanks for that Gary,

I think you confirm there not worth messing with.

They were never made in roof linning material, so a single colour is fine.

Two laser cuttings.
Pressing tool.
Three washers.
Two machined pins.
Wood dowl.
Steel rod.
String.
Eyelets.
Plastic J hook.
Plastic pull knob. These were actually copied from an original removed from a Ruby.
And most expensive of all CHROMING.

I think if I started again and done 10 at £12 each. The £120.00 would hardly cover the derv, running around collecting everything up?

The material can be bought at dunelm. Not over expensive. But buy the time it's picked up. And stitched to size that must be half an hours work each on 10. Most people in business working on 7s charge £25 an hour and over. That's £12.50 per blind fabric if you couldn't work it out.

I don't think I'll bother, I'll carry on watching the film on the telly Wink

Tony.
(08-09-2018, 01:53 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Thanks for that Gary,

I think you confirm there not worth messing with.

They were never made in roof linning material, so a single colour is fine.

Two laser cuttings.
Pressing tool.
Three washers.
Two machined pins.
Wood dowl.
Steel rod.
String.
Eyelets.
Plastic J hook.
Plastic pull knob. These were actually copied from an original removed from a Ruby.
And most expensive of all CHROMING.

I think if I started again and done 10 at £12 each. The £120.00 would hardly cover the derv, running around collecting everything up?

The material can be bought at dunelm. Not over expensive. But buy the time it's picked up. And stitched to size that must be half an hours work each on 10. Most people in business working on 7s charge £25 an hour and over. That's £12.50 per blind fabric if you couldn't work it out.

I don't think I'll bother, I'll carry on watching the film on the telly Wink

Tony.
Ok Tony, Don't leave it on the shelf to rot.  How about 35 quid for one complete set then, to include delivery. Big Grin 
Smiley.
Heart 
(08-09-2018, 01:19 PM)Uu GK5268 Wrote: As a stop-gap, but the reality is that it will probably be permanent, for my Ruby, I used a modern car "sun" blind, these are as cheap as chips (fiver) and surprisingly not that badly made. The bar is metal, but the mounting clips are plastic but not really that intrusive. I got a blind to the correct width of the window and then cut the mesh down to the right drop, keeps the bulk to a minimum when furled.

Hi Gary, I like the fabric solution you have found and the spring mechanism. I wonder if you are able to identify the source please?
(08-09-2018, 09:44 PM)Oxford Jack Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 01:19 PM)Uu GK5268 Wrote: As a stop-gap, but the reality is that it will probably be permanent, for my Ruby, I used a modern car "sun" blind, these are as cheap as chips (fiver) and surprisingly not that badly made. The bar is metal, but the mounting clips are plastic but not really that intrusive. I got a blind to the correct width of the window and then cut the mesh down to the right drop, keeps the bulk to a minimum when furled.

Hi Gary, I like the fabric solution you have found and the spring mechanism. I wonder if you are able to identify the source please?
it was on eBay, loads come up, just check the width (some quote drop not width, which is confusing) and look at what has the best amount of metal in it, some are all plastic. When I got mine, I took it to bits, cut off the surplus fabric and re-assembled, easy enough to do, screw-eyes are readily available, as is a cord, used existing screw fixings to secure in position. Quite a neat solution imho!