The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Oxygen Sensors
(03-09-2018, 08:05 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Thanks fellahs. If it can be persuaded to read reliably a digital voltmeter would detect the knee much as Charle’s device.  If anyone can acquire a known good sensor it could cost nothing to experiment.

Go on then. Sensors are cheap.

Charles
Bob, I know one or two wires sounds attractive, but you really need a heated unit. Austin sevens just don’t get hot enough. The sensor (if I remember right) needs 600 centigrade. And, yes, some of us use a sensor for each exhaust port.
Alan Fairless
Thankyou Alan for a constructive reply.
The whole topic is intriguing although of limited relevance to most on this forum.
The ability of the Lumenition to indicate the range of individual discharges seems a notable feature.
How modern engines give such good mpg without running weak is surprising. As is their immunity to valve damage when some cyls at least must be notably weak.
The unheated units in many applications must spend a lot of time outside the temperature operating range. But were the normal.
I always presumed the energy from the petrol in my Seven went out as exhaust heat as not much reached the road! Or it goes as noise!
Hello Charles
Very interested in your setup.
Any chance of a write-up and some photos of it in action?
This seems like an item that a club could own and hire out to members who have fuelling issues.
Many thanks.
Adrian.
Thinking about it, it’s 600F not 600C. Still hot though.
A narrow band lambda sensor produces a voltage between 0.2v and 0.8v depending on if the mixture is lean (0.2) or rich (0.8) with 0.45v being about where to aim. These days, scrap yards should be full of sensors and I guess eBay has a few as well. I have one that screws in when I need it. They get contaminated if left in a richish mixture. To read it I use a 0 to 1 volt analogue meter, again eBay can provide.
Alan Fairless
Narrowband reads a bit "on-or-off" whereas Wideband reads the variation, if you see what I mean.  I use an innovate LM2, also.  Very good.  I run one in my aeroplane, too.

Alta engined Morris with a boss at the join of the exhaust pipes.

I also have an Arduino device that reads and displays oil and water temp, RPM (with warnings) and oil pressure.

Attached Files
.jpg   altw1.jpg (Size: 346.85 KB / Downloads: 95)
(05-09-2018, 09:21 PM)cardiffrob Wrote: I also have an Arduino device that reads and displays oil and water temp, RPM (with warnings) and oil pressure.

Details or links to the designs for the Arduino would be appreciated 

Charles

(05-09-2018, 01:02 PM)Adrian Payne Wrote: Hello Charles
Very interested in your setup.
Any chance of a write-up and some photos of it in action?
This seems like an item that a club could own and hire out to members who have fuelling issues.
Many thanks.
Adrian.

I'll pen something over the weekend. It's really very simple 

C
Me too for seeing details please. I've done a lot with Arduino (and Teensy) based projects and always interested to see others.

Simon