The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hanging a car from the roof.
Has anyone hung a car from a chain block?

I need some more room in the shed to carry out the 10year test on my steamer. So plan to gain some room by hanging one of my cars from the roof of the shed on a chain block. 

Has anyne done anything similar and can give me some ideas? Where abouts is the centre of gravity do you think?

Current thinking is to make a built up (T section) timber spreader beam (to get straps outboard of the body) with a ring in the centre and a ring on each end. Then have 4 seperate straps. 2 each side from the beam to each wheel (car to be lifted has no wings). Ill use ratchet straps so I can adjust lengths to pick the car up square. It needs to go at least 15 foot in the air.

Any thoughts gentlemen? 

For the record I am a structural engineer so I am more than capable of calculating F.O.S for each component of my lifting tackle, I am also more than happy to pick it up on non certified and home made gear.
One thought, how did they use to do it in the days before RoRos and containers? You see old films of them lifting cars in some kind of sling onto ships for transport. Was there some standard equipment they used to use? Like in this film just after a minute in: https://www.britishpathe.com/video/cars-for-export-2

Simon
how long do you need it up there... or is this a new cunning trial ploy for more permanent dual layer parking?
For the hassle, would it not be easier to find temporary storage down the road?
You could try two long straps as the photo below, or ask some one who has a set of military wheels, but not sure I would go underneath it with the military wheels.  Please put up photos if you do suspend the car.

Not like this, but perhaps shows the C of G is just past half way back:

Attached Files
.jpg   Ruby_crane.jpg (Size: 97.58 KB / Downloads: 411)
Couldn't you measure the cog in the safety of the yard with a couple of scaffold boards and a triangular length of timber as the fulcrum?
(01-09-2018, 10:16 PM)JonE Wrote: how long do you need it up there... or is this a new cunning trial ploy for more permanent dual layer parking?
For the hassle, would it not be easier to find temporary storage down the road?

I have no intention of renting more space. Given I am renting space I am not using (steamer shed is 30foot to the eaves)

(01-09-2018, 10:19 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: You could try two long straps as the photo below, or ask some one who has a set of military wheels, but not sure I would go underneath it with the military wheels.  Please put up photos if you do suspend the car.

I do not want to exert any force on the bodywork.
Presuambly the Seven is being withdrawn from the junk pile to make an ulsteroid. I was never intereted in those curious grab prize game devices in hotel foyers etc. But if I could have grappled Seven bits would have been more keen.

For decades I serviced my Jowett by lifting one end with a chain hoist. But the car did have robust bumper brackets. It avoided the clutter and expense of a large trolley jack.
When loading onto ships, generally use spreader bars to save bodywork:

Attached Files
.jpg   Car Ship 1.jpg (Size: 26.19 KB / Downloads: 346)
.jpg   Car Ship 2.jpg (Size: 69.51 KB / Downloads: 347)
.jpg   Car Ship 3.jpg (Size: 38.37 KB / Downloads: 347)
I would weld up a frame using 76x38x2mm thick rectangular tubing, easy enough to do, simply place the tubing flat on the floor, 4 lengths of tubing either side of the wheels, then a length up each side. Measure up to be square and weld together. Done like this the frame is then purpose made for the car and you can lie it flat on the floor and drive the car on and off. I'd make the sides longer than the car so my lifting slings would clear the nose and tail.

Large lifting eyes on each corner to take your lifting apparatus and you are good to go. Once you have it lifted, then secure with the ratchet straps. If this is to be a permanent solution, then a 4x4 electric winch and suitable sheeve blocks will make you the envy of your neighbours.

One caveat - it's easy to get the center of gravity wrong....if the car flips over half way up it will put a damper on your day, so design your lifting slings at either end to have the lifting point above the radiator cap - I realize you understand this stuff, but this is more for anyone else who will attempt something similar.

Paint the frame as you would your garden gate or similar. Get a cheap plastic geyser tray to slip under the car when it's on the frame... they all drip oil.

1. Edit: Colin's pictures are perfect, I suggest tying the front and rear frames together down the sides to make a purpose suited frame  - less risk of movement etc that way.

Aye
Greig

Out in the Colonies