The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crank bearing
Hello
What’s the way to check whether my Ruby has 2 or 3 bearing crank.
Not sure if all Rubies are 2 bearing ?
Regards
            Tim
The 3 bearing engine has a bolt retaining the centre camshaft bearing half way along the side of the crankcase below the manifolds.
Early Rubies had two bearings, later ones three.
Jim
Hi Tiger,

You should be able to tell from the engine number on the top of the crankcase above the starter motor. Look up the design changes for the exact number - but a number bigger than about M250,000 suggests a three bearing engine. Visually the three bearing crankcase has a bolt underneath the centre of the tappet chest that the two bearing doesn't. Cynics might also say that you'll know if it's three bearing by having a problem in a few weeks time! (Not necessarily true)

Dave
The extra bolt head is a reliable indicator and very easily checked.

3-bearing engines have a poor reputation (I have half a crank hanging on my garage wall) but can be made to run reliably. Some day there will be a 3-bearing Phoenix crank?
Three bearing engines are excellent units when built correctly.

I understand the Melbourne Club (in Oz) sells new three bearing cranks - certainly one is displayed on the wall of their spares shop.

Externally the three bearing crankcase has the bolt mentioned above and a third web positioned centrally.

See: [Image: img_3157.jpg]

This can give you an indication but to be sure you will need to look inside the oil filler hole as it is increasingly common to convert the case to accept a new two bearing shaft.
That's really interesting Ruairidh - do you happen to have a contact e-mail?

And yes, good point, just because it was a 3brg doesn't mean it still is!
I always used to deal with Michael Shegog but I recall he has retired from the spares position.

Tony Press is still a Committee post holder and may be able to advise better.

It is my understanding that spares are sold strictly to members only.
(31-08-2018, 09:24 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I always used to deal with Michael Shegog but I recall he has retired from the spares position.

Tony Press is still a Committee post holder and may be able to advise better.

It is my understanding that spares are sold strictly to members only.

Thanks R.
Many thanks for the quick replies
Tim
Vince Leek did a nice job of converting a 3 bearing crankcase for me.
Robert Leigh