The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Clutch matters
Having struggled to get my clutch right, and succeeded, I thought I would pass on one or two things I have learned the hard way.
If the slots in your cover plate are worn where the toggle bears against it is worth restoring with 1/4 bsf grub screws, flush with bottom of slot — ie as per original. If this is done and new pattern toggle levers used you will have a good clutch. 
I suggest you don’t use the little rods under new toggle levers as it sets the levers far too high. I suspect that those who use the rods to good effect are making the best of old toggle levers.
The new pattern toggles are good I reckon but the fulcrum pins will not fit. I used an 8mm drill to run through. This is not kind on the drill bit as the toggles are case hardened but it works.
( note, my new levers came from Jamie and I don’t know if other cherished suppliers have ones with a different profile ) 
I hope this may be useful and save some midnight oil somewhere.

Charles
When I rebuilt my clutch there was a lot of talk about the grub screw technique being popular, in Woodrow etc, but a bit questionable.
Mine was therefore welded in the groove to fill in the dip and then had a mill run through. It looked like new and didn't cost much to do at a local engineering shop. Been lovely to work ever since.
Just throwing in another option
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Andy thats the way forward in my view, coupled with new levers, posts and pins. Then adjust to the critical measurement
using the Dalby method i.e. heat and bend.
 Result will be a great clutch that you can forget for at least 80k (with reasonable driving).
Why re invent the wheel ?