The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP Speedometer
Hi Folks, I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago and received several replies Thank you.
PeteUU suggested that the RP might have had a Magna speedometer rather than the needle type.
Can anyone advise what was fitted originally to a December 1932 RP Box?. it is obviously an early RP
as they appear to be listed as a 1933 model.
(25-08-2018, 08:58 PM)Smiley Wrote: Hi Folks, I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago and received several replies Thank you.
PeteUU suggested that the RP might have had a Magna speedometer rather than the needle type.
Can anyone advise what was fitted originally to a December 1932 RP Box?. it is obviously an early RP

If your car has a four speed gearbox, it will be an RP Saloon. The early ones definately had Magmo speedo's.
(25-08-2018, 09:27 PM)john williams Wrote:
(25-08-2018, 08:58 PM)Smiley Wrote: Hi Folks, I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago and received several replies Thank you.

If your car has a four speed gearbox, it will be an RP Saloon. The early ones definately had Magmo speedo's.
Thank you john, Yes it has a four speed box so it looks like somewhere along the way it has been changed.
Any idea what would be involved in replacing with a Magmo. Is it just the head, or the cable etc as well.
Thanks  Smile .
Both the speedo head and cable need to be changed. There are at least two magmo speedos. The earlier type (correct for your car) doesn't have slots and blue plasic inserts for side illumination. The mark 1 Ruby uses the one with these slots.

The Ruby one has 1040 on the dial (1040 turns per mile) not sure about the RP...
(26-08-2018, 09:27 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Both the speedo head and cable need to be changed. There are at least two magmo speedos. The earlier type (correct for your car) doesn't have slots and blue plasic inserts for side illumination. The mark 1 Ruby uses the one with these slots.

The Ruby one has 1040 on the dial (1040 turns per mile) not sure about the RP...

Okay, Thanks Nick, i'll have to see what I can find around.  Confused
Whilst an RP should have a Magmo they are notoriously inaccurate. If you've got a needle type I'd stick with it unless you're frightened of the rivet police.
(26-08-2018, 11:21 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Whilst an RP should have a Magmo they are notoriously inaccurate. If you've got a needle type I'd stick with it unless you're frightened of the rivet police.
Nice one RR.  Yes, I think if I can cure the problem I've got with the needle, I'll leave it as it is. Cheers.
I have a Magmo in my September 1933 RP I have checked it with a sat nav on a trip to the Grimsthorpe Speed Trials today.It was accurate and has now recorded 91000 miles. The Speed Trials was worth a visit,even with the light rain,good turnout of cars and bikes.
(26-08-2018, 06:53 PM)Bill Dixon Wrote: I have a Magmo in my September 1933 RP I have checked it with a sat nav on a trip to the Grimsthorpe Speed Trials today.It was accurate and has now recorded 91000 miles. The Speed Trials was worth a visit,even with the light rain,good turnout of cars and bikes.

Thanks for your input Bill.  Still unsure which way to go.  Confused