The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby starting issue.
Hello everyone, I today went to start my Ruby, she had already been running for about five mins. In my haste I left her in 1st gear when I pulled the starter she lurched forward as was in gear,, my problem now is the electrics appear dead, I checked the three fuses, also it would appear that the battery has lost its charge in one go, very odd to me any help would be very welcome.

Kind regards

Nick Heane
Hi Nick,

When you say 'dead', what have you tried? For example, the lights and horn don't work?
What did you find when you checked the fuses?
Is the starter jammed?
I can only suggest working your way through it systematically - if there's no charge in the battery first thing would be to put it on a charger for a few hours then see if anything comes back to life - or try a second battery if you have one.
Normally a short which drained the battery would be quite noticeable, something would cook.

Under these circs I would personally disconnect the battery from the car over night, just in case - until you figure out what's wrong.
As Chrhas mentioned how dead is your battery. Does the ignition light come on as normal when switched on and the engine not running. Will the battery light a test bulb when connected across the terminals. If not check the terminals are not corroded up and clean if necessary. As Chris mentioned check your starter is not Jamed to the starter ring. To do this switch off ignition put the car in first or second gear and rock the car back and forth if stuck there is a good chance it will free itself. Also check the switch on top of the starter motor has not arced and is stuck on. This will flatten a battery in seconds and also cook the battery.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Did you manage to get the car started ....?????? Would be nice to know.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(24-08-2018, 10:36 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: Did you manage to get the car started ....?????? Would be nice to know.

Thanks for the advice, I will be working on her from 11.00 will update later, starter ring makes sense so I will start with that.