The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP Speedometer
Hi Folks, Can anyone advise on how to cure a (SWINGING) speedometer needle on the RP.  The needle is swinging back and forth making it difficult to determine what speed I am doing.?
Cheers Smile
(22-08-2018, 05:58 PM)Smiley Wrote: Hi Folks, Can anyone advise on how to cure a (SWINGING) speedometer needle on the RP.  The needle is swinging back and forth making it difficult to determine what speed I am doing.?
Cheers Smile

Smiley, on other cars I have experience with, this is usually the result of a worn cable. This could be a fray or possibly a kink. The cable loads up from the friction and then releases. The cure, if I am right about the cause, is a new cable. If you wait for it to get worse, it can seize completely and that can be bad for the gears at the drive end.

Erich in very smoky Seattle
Could try oiling the cable?

My experience similar to Erich's, though I'd say flicker rather than swing.
you are not tapping to the beat on your headphones with your accelerator foot, are you? jus' checkin....
I thought the RP had a Magmo moving dial speedo ?
I have found that the flickering can be caused by stiffness in the oddometer part of the speedometer. It is easy to check if this is the problem - take the cover off the speedometer and disengage the drive arm to the cog on the end of the mileage dials and see if this makes any difference.
From distant memory on the correct RP speedo there is a whisker which drags against the drum to stop it swaying. Very easily damaged. Often missing.
The diecast metal castings distort with age and the drive can become stiff in the body which may cause surging. Bore can be eased.
Somewhere in one of the Club technical infos is a guide to rebuilding but not for the heavy handed or faint hearted. 

(My car used to sway above 55 mph...which led to being pulled over for speeding. The tail wind was of a ferocity  for which Wellington is noted).
(23-08-2018, 08:10 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: From distant memory on the correct RP speedo there is a whisker which drags against the drum to stop it swaying. Very easily damaged. Often missing.
The diecast metal castings distort with age and the drive can become stiff in the body which may cause surging. Bore can be eased.
Somewhere in one of the Club technical infos is a guide to rebuilding but not for the heavy handed or faint hearted. 

(My car used to sway above 55 mph...which led to being pulled over for speeding. The tail wind was of a ferocity  for which Wellington is noted).

This sounds better than my idea...
(22-08-2018, 07:11 PM)PeteUU Wrote: I thought the RP had a Magmo moving dial speedo ?
Hi, PeteUU you may well be right.  It would be interesting if you, or any others could confirm whether or not that is correct.  My RP was registered in December 1932, so maybe they just used up existing stock of RN Speedometers before starting with the MAGMO.
Huh
(22-08-2018, 07:02 PM)JonE Wrote: you are not tapping to the beat on your headphones with your accelerator foot, are you? jus' checkin....

Nice one JoneE  Cool
Smiley

(22-08-2018, 06:55 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Could try oiling the cable?

My experience similar to Erich's, though I'd say flicker rather than swing.

Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply but I'm a swinger rather than a flicker Big Grin  
Smiley.