The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front cover
Found it. Broken off lugs welded back on with new material and threads.

Attached Files
.jpg   welded1_zpsa0471825.jpg (Size: 198.48 KB / Downloads: 201)
On later cars there is no internal seal and any water entering ends up in the sump. If tinkering with may be able to work in an O ring or somesuch. looks better than a rag tied around the joint.
There are several nose cones, early ones with a threaded bush
        [attachment=3627]I didn't like the gap between handle and the front cover to allow water & grit to enter the engine, so I turned the handle boss down to 7/8" (no smaller or you can't get the spring in) then bored the cover out and bushed it down to fit the handle boss. There is enough meat in the cover for this and the bush was secured with Loctite bearing fit. The bush can be seen in the photo.
(23-08-2018, 07:32 AM)cardiffrob Wrote: Found it.  Broken off lugs welded back on with new material and threads.

That looks neat Rob...
I just realised from these pictures my starting handle is different so no wonder it won't fit. Which cars had the handle like mine with the long boss on it that fits over the shaft? Is it a Ruby one?

Simon
My starting handle arrangement is the same as Dave Mann's photo. In addition to having sleeved the shaft I have machined a groove in it to take an 'O' ring which helps to seal it. It sits inside the nosecone when at "rest" and helps to prevent oil from dripping out and/or water or muck getting in.