The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E10 fuel...
I recently drained the tank of a motor bike I'd bought,a Honda monkey bike.The fuel tap was leaking (rust particles) The splashed fuel seemed to attack the lacquer on the tank and the fuel which leaked on the floor softened the rubber soles of my shoes.
The bike ran much better after I'd cleaned out the carb and filled with fresh fuel.I had no history of the bike or how long since it had been used.
In my experience, petrol going off is a function of the amount of fuel in the size of tank.

Lawnmower and outboard fuels keep fresh indefinitely, a gallon or two in a Ruby or Cambridge tank will only be usable for around a couple of months.

The car will start, but not do much else, as Mike says.

I drained a couple of gallons from the Cambridge, topped up the Tourer so the mix was around 50 - 50, and then the Tourer wouldn't go, either.   25% old to 75% new works, though.

So far, no problems with solder, brass, copper or rubber.

I wonder: are rubber parts coming from China or India and so might have the poor material qualities that some of their goods have?

The Tourer petrol pump diaphragm is made from a piece of Avon rubber dinghy which is at least 30 years old.   It was a stopgap which has stayed put and done a year's worth of motoring with no trouble.   (I don't think I should tempt fate by saying that!)

Simon
None of my Austin Sevens (or any that come in for work) are exhibiting any issues using the ethanol type fuels.

Clearly other vehicles are having problems with it but for the purpose of this post I am interested in issues it causes with Austin Sevens.
Avon Rubber Dinghys are not made of rubber.
They are made of Hypalon which has a high chemical resistance which is why the material is fuel resistant.
My outboard motor fuel pipe just fell apart with fuel lying in it. No cracking just dissolved, the fuel pipe used to age harder in UV light.
It has now been replaced with ethanol proof hose.
I use E10 petrol in my Ruby and have had no problems with rubber (I have thick soft plastic/rubber type washers each side of the fuel pump as seals for the fuel lines I also have the new red coloured diaphragm in the fuel pump) or leaks from soldered joints. I do however have stale fuel problems if the car is not used for about 6 to 8 weeks as it will not start easily and when it does runs poorly. I like Simon have found if it is mixed with a large amount of new fuel it will run in the car ok.
My observations although not scientific have come to this conclusion. E10 petrol which has ethanol added evaporates off between 6 to 8 weeks thus causing the problems. My observations of my own car is that when I have topped up with petrol and parked in my enclosed garage I have that wonderful smell of petrol you get with old cars but this slowly goes over the next few weeks until it cannot be noticed at all. I.E. All the ethanol has evaporated off and the problems start. Not such a problem however now I know what it is and always have new petrol to hand in an airtight container that keeps it fresh.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I have experienced problems starting with stale fuel after short periods of time with zenith sidedraft carbs. However, some of our updraft cars can remain unused for 6-7 months at a time with less than two gallons in the tank and fire up first time, every time.
That's interesting Ruairidh I wonder if any forum members with SU carbs have any problems.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Two of my Sevens are fitted with SUs, one s/d and one fully d/d - neither suffer from poor starting with older fuel.
I have two Sevens with semi down draught SUs and one with a bronze updraught Zenith. All have always started on the button no matter how old the fuel is. In the case of the updraught Zenith, I once left it with two gallons of French Supermarket petrol for over 12 months and it simply fired up as usual.

Steve
Ethanol is a much debated issue in the seven world.

My view is rather safe than sorry, the differences I am sure are very minor. I am convinced that it attracts more water vapour into the tank which can cause rust spots in the tank.
My solution is to keep the tank full in the winter and add Millers "tank safe" since doing this I have had no dirt problems with my cars.

The other item which is annoying with front tank cars is the fuel tap. Even if you fit a new one after about 6 months the pesky tap leaks (the ethanol attacks the brass taper) then just to add insult the tap goes stiff.
Tried everything to repair these and failed.
There is a great solution - A tap which looks the same as our original is available which has a stainless ball and seals internally, all ethanol proof. They never leak and are an easy action and the same price !

For the longer term I do add an additive, VSP this may be of benefit to me as much as the car, but I believe in it.