The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
EGAN COACHWORKS, GEELONG
We've had an enquiry about replacement woodwork for an ARQ Mark 1 Ruby, with a body by Egan of Geelong.  Are any Australian members familiar with these and if so, how much do they have in common with the UK model?

I'm particularly interested in the "Patent Latticed Roof Frame", now missing, but referred to on a patent plate on the car.

Thanks!
If there's a patent, there should be details at the relevant UK or Australian Patent Office.
Birmingham Library holds one of the best archives of patents in the UK, so not far for you Martin.  I doubt that the patent drawings will give detailed dimensions of any structure or assemblies, but they will probably help with the outline principle involved.
(13-08-2018, 07:03 PM)Mick Hobday Wrote: Birmingham Library holds one of the best archives of patents in the UK, so not far for you Martin.  I doubt that the patent drawings will give detailed dimensions of any structure or assemblies, but they will probably help with the outline principle involved.
Martin Prior - As one who has been through all the Body Patents in the Victorian Archives I'd say there was nothing from Egan.  However I'm doing some research on Egan now, but doubt any of it will show up the roof design.  A few years ago I measured up two 1934 Egan saloon bodies (with the same owner, but one since sold), chassis only a couple of months apart and even though many items were identical, even the rear side windows were of different shape!  So Egan hadn't copied the Longbridge shape exactly.  Don't recall anything special about the roof construction, but will contact a couple of owners to get any usable info. and pass it on.   Bill in Oz  ausevenoz@gmail.com
This might help,
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/advanced...cale=en_EP
Worldwide patent search available via the UK Patent Office ( https://www.gov.uk/search-for-patent )

I got some results by entering just the word roof and Austin.
Thanks for everything so far, one and all.  Any information will be gratefully received!
(15-08-2018, 07:07 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: Thanks for everything so far, one and all.  Any information will be gratefully received!

What a great question Martin!   Big Grin

Hopefully this link will work for you:
http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/ols/a...929021051#

I would post the patent itself but I seem to have trouble posting stuff. Hopefully you can download the PDF from that link. As someone stated earlier, it does not have dimensions, just a summary and diagram of his patent.

This patent number: 21051, is stamped on my Egan coach work plate. It is also dated the 5/7/29. Not sure if my car had this particular roof or it is stamped on every plate after 1929. 

The roof structure at the moment seems to have the framing, then a thin bit of ply wood cut into 4 triangular sections so it can take the shape of the roof. There seems to be remnants of foam on the ply, so I am guessing it had a foam layer over the top and then material.

.pdf   Patent Number 21051.pdf (Size: 115.63 KB / Downloads: 36)

Hopefully this works

Bill.

I would be interested to know what you have on William Egan. I have done a little research as well. There's not much out there, but I can send you what I do have.

I may need to pick your brains a little about my car. I have just started restoration of an ARQ Ruby, Egan body. Some of it was put together, but other bits are still in boxes. Not even sure where the coachwork plate goes on the body!

Anyway, let me know if you want any of the info I have.

Cheers,
Jason
(17-08-2018, 12:36 AM)Jason Franzone Wrote: Hopefully this works

Bill.

I would be interested to know what you have on William Egan. I have done a little research as well. There's not much out there, but I can send you what I do have.

I may need to pick your brains a little about my car. I have just started restoration of an ARQ Ruby, Egan body. Some of it was put together, but other bits are still in boxes. Not even sure where the coachwork plate goes on the body!

Anyway, let me know if you want any of the info I have.

Cheers,
Jason
Jason & Martin -  I'll hopefully have more info at the end of next week - will pass it & anything else I have on then.  If you wish to contact me it's ausevenoz@gmail.com     One of the three Rubies I owned  at one time was an Egan, but kept no details, except recall the louvres on the bonnet side were angled rather than vertical, as were most if not all Egans in the 20s.   Franz - where are you, in Oz or elsewhere?   Cheers,  Bill
Bill.
Im in Perth until the end of the year, then moving permanently to the Grampians in Victoria. The car I own has been in WA since 1981 (at least), but will be coming back to Victoria with me.
Where in Oz are you?