The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch Levers Position - Clutch not releasing
Hi All, me again and another problem!  Every day's a school day and thanks for all your help!

We just fitted the clutch together with some home-made locking washers (no thread-lock around at the time).  Upon offering up the gearbox and trying to actuate the clutch properly by the thrust bearing, the levers are almost impossible to push.  When reading the official guidebook, it says that the levers should be ~3/8ths from the edge of the casing, but ours are more like 7/8ths away.  If you put a LOT of force on the arms, you can *just* see them move, but it isn't right at all!

When bolting the clutch down, the levers draw into a position where they meet the thrust bearing, but they seem to have gone too far.  I've seen threads where people needed to add a spacer between the clutch and flywheel, but am unsure if this would 'fix' it?

Piccy below of their position:

[Image: IMG_20180808_153118.jpg?raw=1]
The levers are to low, I set them 1 1/4" to 1 5/16" above the steel face of the clutch plate to the top of the lever bearing face. I find using rollers under the levers
      against the the pillars the best method usually a 5mm roller is enough (see photo) the max size would be 5.5mm, this also gives a much better clutch action.

Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Super photo Terry, and possibly the best modification to any clutch - makes operation so much smoother, for a Seven that is!
Peter
Great idea! Am I being slow (nothing new there!), but how are the rollers retained in position?
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
The rollers sit behind the bump on the clutch finger and are held there when the finger is down in the slot.  The result is an improvement in leverage due to the roller resting against the post.  cheers  Russell
Once assembled and box in place the don’t come out. The mousetraps also help to stop them fulling out during assembly. On the early clutch I used a little bit of loctite to help stop them fulling out while I fitted the box to the motor last year
Bryan
Use this clutch aid modification to hold every thing together on assembly.

Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks  chaps
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
I have had those rollers in place for many years and they are a very good improvement. The Terry Griffin repair is new to me and something I will remember in case I have need of it.

Many thanks all.
Thanks for all the excellent advice all (as usual!), those lever rollers look great!

The only thing i'm confused about is where you say you "Set" the levers? The only way i can remember you can move the levers is to loosen the clutch itself (and shim it with washers). Is there another way please?