The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fitting luggage rack to 7 RP box
It locks horizontally by the weight of your luggage pressing down in the centre and the luggage straps holding both together.
It locks vertically by an indent in the front edge matching a hole in the rear edge.   Well it does on my example.  cheers  Russell

Peter,

These are the two chassis extensions Hedd is referring to - these extensions are an integral part of all RP high frame chassis like yours - note the two body floorpan attachment bolt holes on either extension. As you can see the extensions are rather narrow and actually end forward of the rear axle, they don't extend beyond it. Have a look underneath the back of your car and you should be able to see them and decide how best to make up angle iron brackets similar those Hedd's late father made that will match up with the brackets on your luggage rack.

.png   Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 23.46.54.png (Size: 782.87 KB / Downloads: 342)
It is difficult to utilise the chassis extensions because these are frail, stop forward of the axle, and any direct extension interferes with the axle travel. As previous the strong area is the angle between inner guards and rear seat floor. if the tank brackets were more robust could serve as the rear support with an extension forward to absorb twist action.
From memory the brackets go on top of the extensions, between the body and chassis. Where the felt goes.

On mime I just put two angles on the floor under the seat with plates on top of the floor like a sandwich. The liad on the luggage rack pulls the floor down at the back near the back panel, and pushes it up where the floor steps down to go over the axle. Mine is further complicates as the nobbys have bent the angle iron into a hog!. Make no mistake I am an animal. But its not good and some hammer work, and some welding is going to be required to sort it.
This is the luggage rack fitted to my RP. I had to fabricate the mounting rails myself because like the OP it came without them. It has been on the back of the car for the past 35 years or so and has seen some use, even though it's not bolted to the chassis and just mounted into the rear of the body shell. The rails pass between the rear wings and the body and have large spreader washers on the inside under the rear seat.

[Image: 20180725_144644.jpg]

here is a close up of the mounting rails:

[Image: 20180725_144810.jpg]

and here is where they are mounted:

[Image: 20180725_144752.jpg]

As long as you don't overload it, it should be fine. Just don't use it as a bench for sitting on while you're at the races! (there's quite a bit of leverage when extended)
A picnic basket will be fine.
I am reminded of a warm sunny day in May 1967 when I spotted a box saloon (no-one called them RP, RN etc at that time) in a car park whilst I was visiting Faringdon, Oxfordshire.  I took the opportunity to have a good look at the Austin's rear numberplate/lighting assembly to compare with that of my own fairly recently acquired 1932 Tourer (rear tank) which had been modified with the addition of a crude flat steel bumper.  
I don't remember how it happened, maybe I attempted to clear excessive accumulation of dirt from around the rear underfloor of the Box in order to see how the steel straps and tank were fitted, but without warning the whole petrol tank and numberplate assembly fell to the tarmac with a metallic thud, leaving it held to the car by only the bent petrol pipe.  I have to admit that I didn't wait for the owner to return, or to leave a note, or even to grab the opportunity to examine the method of fixture which was then plain to see!
I don't suppose the owner will read this, but if he/she does then I'll happily buy him/her a pint. Or two.
Obviously it wasn't so much me but 34 years of rust to blame (that's my excuse anyway).  No doubt the owner wouldn't have made it out of the car park without realising that the petrol tank was amiss.   And maybe I did the driver a favour?  The tank  was about to drop off anyway and the consequence of this happening on a busy road with with resulting sparks and petrol spillage, and maybe whilst being closely followed by a young family in a Mini could have been a huge disaster.
A similar thing happened to me in AYN 912, my 1934 4-seat tourer while driving along the Perth Road in Dundee one Wednesday evening in 1967.
I heard a strange grinding noise and stopped to find the petrol tank dragging along the road by the petrol pipe.
Fortunately I had a spare front brake cable in the car which I used to hoist the tank back in place and lash it there.
That held till the end of university term. On the way home to Cambridge I went with friend via Liverpool where we attached it with metal plates etc.
Jim
Thanks for all the very helpful advice. Instead of bodging the luggage rack to the standard petrol tank mounts, I will get my local body shop to fabricate larger brackets, with strengthening plates on the floor for the petrol tank and luggage carrier.

I dunno what paint Austins used but the rear floor of RPs rusted spectacularly. (A very rough RP driven to Asia in the 1970s? had a constant problem with the whole rear subsiding!) Due roof, window leaks and the inner guards perforating. Unless restored,  carrier out of the question.

My car was fitted with very robust aftermarket bumpers from new and a heavy duty carrier fitted. It has carried sacks of coal, cement, Seven engines and other trinkets. it is mounted as RR, with the holes about 1 inch above the angle, where layers of steel.  Washers suffice on the inside. Extends further forward.

But anything involving removal of the guard is best avoided as likley to start a saga.

Some sort of angle from underneath and parallel the originnl pattern tank mount seems promising but the floor is full of rivets etc. Must not reduce axle bump travel.
I note you purchased it at Glamis, are you planning on heading to Guildtown this weekend for the Scottish Austin Seven Club event?
Plenty of cars on display for you to compare racks with!

John