The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas SM5 headlight functions
I'm going to use some A7W units with a pilot and was wondering about ditching the sidelight function entirely if I use 6V LED headlight units which could be run on 'dip' whenever the lights are on. (so that the pilot could be used for emergency indicator flasher when lights aren't on) 
Just want to make sure about the mechanism for reducing beam on the SM5 - is it controlled by putting the wiring into series, or was that the earlier unit? If the former, how can I best alter the switching to control a twin filament headlamp bulb?
thanks
On the SM5 the double filament headlight bulbs were connected through the column mounted dipswitch to the H terminal. with the tail light connected to terminal T and side lights to terminal Low which switches the side lights out when headlights are switched on.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

great - that answers my other question - it was a column mounted dipswitch ! Thankyou.

In Aug 29 handbook its plainly the same switch panel, but switch panel right hand switch refers to second position (S) as "headlamps dim and tail lamp" and position 3 (H) as "headlamps bright and tail lamp"

I'm now wondering what the earliest pilot bulb occurrence was. Is this dim headlamp just the pilot bulb?