The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting engine & gearbox back into Chummy
Hi folks

1927 Austin Chummy

Collect the engine after some work done, starter ring, clutch, bearings etc. I did leave the gearbox in situ when taking the engine out but now I find I cannot line it up properly with the gearbox to bolt them together. I have taken the gearbox out so I can match them up on the bench, which I have yet to complete. I am aware that there is a flat on the spline which should match exactly into the receiving hole in the clutch.
My question is can I reinsert the engine and gearbox back into the car as a unit?
Any other information would be helpful.

John B
Yes, I assume the radiator is already out of the way.
Two burly chaps can do it but an engine lift or overhead chain winch makes the job easy. With the wheels on helps to inch it fore and aft to ease the lump into place.
(Replace the mounting rubbers naturally)
It is quite awkward refitting engine and gearbox as a unit. The clutch pedal on the 3-speed gearbox makes it difficult. Often either the pedal or the hole in the floor through which it goes have been modified.
Jim
John,
Some people say yes to fitting the two complete as one unit; others no. I am the latter.
I know it can be a pain with this " flat spline " but once the male and female are lined up I use a jack under the gearbox, and with assistance, raise or lower it to mate up with the engine. Sometimes it can be very trying, other times the two just slip together quite easily. A combination of patience and bad language helps! ( No mounting rubbers on a '27 engine )
John. Its a doddle. And if your not too decrepit a one man job Though there is usually some swearing involved in getting the clutch pedal in rhe correct slot. Having tried the leaving the gearbox in situ once. All I will say is never again.
I have an electric winch in the garage and using a lifting hook welded onto an old spark plug in n°3 cylinder the engine/ gearbox can be easily lowered into position. I admit to having "modified" the bulkhead so that the clutch pedal (with foot pad removed) can slip easily into place. My engine mounting bolts are all removeable (rubber mounted crankcase) which alleviates the hassle of trying to wangle it over fixed studs. Its a low frame crankcase in a high frame car so the flywheel cover has to be removed to get it under the throttle shaft. Apart from that its a piece of cake. Ive never attempted separating engine and gearbox in the car. Not sure its actually possible in an RP without a load of hassle. Bench is best in my view.
Your car is on a SWB chassis - without modifying the floor plan and/or clutch pedal (by cutting) you will really struggle to fit the engine and gearbox in connected together.

LWB models are different and fitting ‘connected’ is the norm.
The problem is the clutch pedal won’t fit through the hole in the floor, and until it does the engine won’t go far enough back, or drop far enough down. You might be lucky and find that someone has already extended the hole in the floor - it needs lengthening by about an inch upwards. Otherwise you will struggle. My own cars I’ve modified, but if you don’t want to cut the floor, really you have to fit the two together once in the chassis.
Alan Fairless
The wide spline didn't appear until about 1930. If the car is 1927 it wouldn't have had it. However it could well be a later gearbox. The splined shaft on clutch plates with the wide spline is longer. This can prevent the clutch disengaging if it 'bottoms' in a gearbox with no wide spline.
Jim