The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1931 (maybe) BMW Ihle Sports, anyone?
Anglia Car Auctions are selling this Ihle Sports by private treaty:

.jpg   Ihle Sports.jpg (Size: 48.1 KB / Downloads: 412)

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1017337

Not cheap, and not 1931 either (the Ihle Sports was introduced in February 1933 at the Berlin Autoshow), but where will you find another?
I always understood that Ihle rebodied your existing Dixi or another donor. The 1931 date probably refers to the original vehicle. Interestingly this always confused me as I was led to believe that the BMW double grille originated on an Austin racer, then saw an earlier Dixi with an Ihle body. It makes sense now knowing they rebodied old cars that must have kept the original registration. This suggests Ihle copied the style of the Austin. BMW the Ihle.
While I like it and must confess I am partial to LHD vehicles, I'm not so keen on the cream against the blue, wheels yes, but personally I would prefer it if the grille, bonnet vents and headlights were toned down a bit. A sports front axle would also suit the sporting body..... But I might be treading dangerously here.

Talking of toned down did anyone notice the flowery Mercedes convertible in the background of the 3/4 rear picture ... Not exactly inconspicuous

Aye
Greig
Helmut sent me the following about the car:

“Yes, this is an Ihle, VIN 24486. was sold from Coburg (Bavaria) to the USA. There offered for a very high amount, after the car was restored there (http://www.oldtimer-tv.com/oldtimer/DE/n...p?Seite=50). Sorry, only in German language.”
(20-07-2018, 08:54 AM)Greig Smith Wrote: While I like it and must confess I am partial to LHD vehicles, I'm not so keen on the cream against the blue, wheels yes, but personally I would prefer it if the grille, bonnet vents and headlights were toned down a bit. A sports front axle would also suit the sporting body..... But I might be treading dangerously here.

Talking of toned down did anyone notice the flowery Mercedes convertible in the background of the 3/4 rear picture ... Not exactly inconspicuous

Aye
Greig
hi greig,

i think if people are honest, they may find the car a bit like marmite. bits you love, bits you dont.

ive never been a fan of tractor headlamp, they get called that because they should be on tractors.

i love the overall shape, but the front being that high either needs a shrouded front to bring the body line lower. or as you say, putting on a sports axle. and springs.

tony.
would be interesting to see one as new from factory, and to see if it felt as americanised in tones.
(20-07-2018, 10:36 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Helmut sent me the following about the car:

“Yes, this is an Ihle, VIN 24486. was sold from Coburg (Bavaria) to the USA. There offered for a very high amount, after the car was restored there (http://www.oldtimer-tv.com/oldtimer/DE/n...p?Seite=50). Sorry, only in German language.”

Google translation: (well, at least it's not $600,000...)
When it comes to culture, Europeans are regarded in the eyes of some Americans as blase and conceited. To reinforce the impression when it comes to the passion for automobiles. "And imagine," wrote "The Capital Times" in Madison, Wisconsin in the July 31, 2008 issue "how aggrieved the car fools were over the big pot over there when they realized that a rare 1931 BMW Ihle 600 sports car and the fact that an American bought it. "The article, in its kind, triggered a rarely intense discussion on the Internet. It was preceded by a report on the occasion of the presentation of the vehicle.
On the first weekend of August, Tom Griffith, a vintage car collector from Verona, Wisconsin, introduced his precious new acquisition to the public at the 13th Vintage Celebration on Bothams Vineyard.
 About a year ago, Griffith had found the car in an ad on a European website - and immediately bought it. The American is silent about the purchase price, but says: "Within two days, I had 72 emails from prospective buyers." Also BMW should have been among the interested parties. Manfred Grunert, Press Officer BMW History: "It's an achievement that Mr. Griffith has dedicated himself to such an extraordinary restoration - after all, there are hardly any documents left from such rare vehicles, and we were able to confirm that the base of his Ihle buildup is an original one the sedan is. "
During the past year, Tom Griffith restored the BMW Ihle 600 to Keith van Egdom of Dodgeville. "It looks like new." According to "Capital Times" Tom Griffith has invested around $ 100,000 in the restoration: "The history makes the car so special." Rob W. an international classic car dealer says during the Internet discussion "The value of the car should be up to six times higher than what Tom Griffith has invested." Gerhard Schwarz 1st Chairman of the Dixi IG has his reservations: "The price for the repair seems to me too high, because one Buy very good copies under circumstances from 18,000 to 24,000 euros. I know the vehicle, it was in a relatively good condition at the time of sale, to my knowledge the paint and upholstery has been worked up and the car has been supplemented in some parts. "
During the Second World War, the much discussed vehicle had been stored in a warehouse. The bombardment of the Allies not only damaged the hall, but also the car. For fifty years, the valuable vehicle was pounding away, "until it was repaired and disarmed for a disproportionate amount of money in the 1980s, as it had fenders like those of the Ihle 800" (information from Gerhard Schwarze, Dixie IG). After the death of the then owner, the granddaughter sold the BMW Ihle 600 to the Amsterdam car dealers and to the international market.
To make sure it was an original vehicle, Griffith sent the number engraved in the engine block to BMW and the handwritten entry in the papers from the day the car was built. BMW, writes the Capital Times, supported the vintage car enthusiast in the restoration and provided him with the parts he needed, such as fan blades, V-belts, side mirrors, hood straps, spark plugs, wiper blades and BMW logo. "The people of BMW said," says Tom Griffith, "-When the car is restored, we want it to be done correctly. It's a car of ours. That's how BMW helped me tremendously to get the vehicle up to date. "Dixie IG Chairman Gerhard Schwarze comments:" It must be a mistake, because all the parts come from me, or the dixi interest group, the 1st International Brand Club for Dixie 3/15, BMW 3/15 and special models. This IG also belongs to Tom Griffith. The vehicle of Tom Griffith is a former BMW 3/15 DA2 from 1931, which was family owned since the 50s. So one can assume that the body is also a "real" Ihle body, because at this time no one took the trouble to recreate such a part. "
With driving, Tom Griffith has his problems: "I'm almost too big to drive the car - and I'm 170 tall. But," he adds, "he drives like a go-kart."
"Your desire to own an elegant and sleek sports car was our task, which we have mastered with a recognized full success," was the slogan of the brothers Ihle from Bruchsal, Baden.
Technical specifications
Engine: Four-cylinder 743 cc BMW Dixi,
3/15 hp, ground, light alloy piston, battery ignition, electric. Light and starter system, dry single-disc clutch, toothed thrust gearbox, 3 forward gears, 1 reverse gear,
Steering left,
Vehicle dimensions:
Length: 3050 mm, width 1200 mm, seat width 880 mm;
Weight: 400 kg
Consumption: approx. 6 liters per 100 km
Construction: Ihle - special - all-steel sports body, speed approx. 90 km; Front tires new, rear protected or well preserved.
The Ihle 600 was available for 1050 Reichsmark ex works Bruchsal.
Typical feature of all Ihle vehicles:
the still common with BMW double kidney
The Capital Times Madison on the Internet:
www.madison.com
In Germany, the BMW Ihle 600 can be seen:
In the car museum Busch in Wolfegg (building 2)
www.automuseum-busch.de
Auto- and Technikmuseum Sinsheim
www.technik-museum.de[url=http://www.technik-museum.de][/url]
Thank you Tony.
(20-07-2018, 11:58 AM)JonE Wrote: would be interesting to see one as new from factory, and to see if it felt as americanised in tones.

.jpg   Ihle 800.jpg (Size: 24.94 KB / Downloads: 159)

Edit: oops! Just realised that pic is of a DKW-based Ihle 800;here's a Dixi-based Ihle 600:

.jpg   ihle 600.jpg (Size: 25.57 KB / Downloads: 155)
I've always had a soft spot for these beauties.  There is something of the locust, wasp or grasshopper about the front aspect. On google images there are several in what can only be described as dayglo colours of lime, lemon etc which I find rather garish.
If I did the lottery (I'd never win ) but I would love one!
A pic of my tribute to Ihle

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)