The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good towing device...
The Big Seven is located in Dublin even though the seller appears to be based in Cumbria.
(25-07-2018, 12:23 AM)squeak Wrote: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Big-7-...SwQO9a6M2A

The Big 7 car currently listed for parts shows in the first and last pictures, a towing device I have never seen before .
A WOODEN TOWBAR.  Quite a lot of the rest of the car looks useful however.

no relation to the seller, just an amazed onlooker. cheers  Russell

You may like this one then. A wooden trailer 
http://bridgeport.askmisterscience.com/bridgeport.htm

Charles
There is a lot to be said for the strength of wood. Correctly selected for application and cut for grain it can be more durable, flexible and strong than many other materials.
Anyone who has been to Asia will have seen skyscrapers with bamboo scafolding up the outside, quite literally tied together with rope.
They are bemused by the use of metal poles.
Not to mention sustainable and green of course (providing you aren't stripping rain forests of rare hardwoods).

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Marcos chassis comes to mind
Ian
LGOC B type Buses had timber/steel chassis.

Best pushpole I have ever seen was a scaffold pole with a piece of close fitting ash stuffed up thw middle. It bowed then alway sprang back.
Way off topic but I was greatly intrigued by the bamboo scaffolding in HK. Near where I was staying a truck dropped a pile of bamboo on the very busy pavement. A quality control man selected the poles by sighting along them and passed up to human monkeys, who held on by hooking one leg. (locals are not built like Americans) Each had a wad of nylon ties in his belt and quickly lashed each joint. In a couple of hours they were up 3 stories! No cones, pedestrian barriers, high vis jackets, safety belts, or hard hats. Incredibly it extends up the highest skyscrapers. With the very modern stylish  buildings the contrast in technology is incredible.The compression loads at the bottom must be formidable. Just possibly someone on the job has a diploma in scaffolding (bamboo endorsment)

Here, I would now require a certified scaffold, jacket, heavy trousers and hard hat if I employed someone to polish the roof of the Austin!