The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bushes - Reaming King Pins & rear springs
(05-07-2018, 03:56 PM)David.H Wrote: Question #1
How long is a "long" King pin & how long is a "short one? I don't know the history of my front axle/hubs, but my pins are ~3.475" long. They are in good condition with a consistent o/d 0.499-0.501.
The bushes are shot, with the i/d anywhere from 0.5085-0.5105 plus.  The axle eyes are not oval, but n/s is about .005/8" oversize. I did not have grease plugs ....the top of the Pin was sealed off with solder & a 0.750" plug jammed into the base! Stub axle numbers  are 1A4122/3

Question #2 can I simply obtain a new set of bushes & thrusts with a 0.500 diameter? the suppliers are suggesting that the bushes will need to be reamed (even if I buy a kit with new pins) Why are they not made to fit? leading to:

Question#3 I bought new Rear spring bushes & was surprised to find that they also need to be reamed to fit the (new) 0.500" BR58 Spring pin/rear spring bolt. As the new bushes are a (very) loose fit in the spring eye I cannot drive the bush into the spring to hold it while reaming it (if I had a reamer....) Why are they not made to fit their matching bolt?

A perfect kingpin eye (and very few are nowadays!) is .500". Therefore a standard kingpin has to be less than this for clearance - ideally half a thou to one thou under. If you have pins measuring .501" this would suggest that +.002" pins have been fitted in the past (they have been available in the aftermarket for donkey's years). It follows that the axle eyes have probably been reamed out to suit, as an alternative to the suggested closing up of the eye and reaming back to standard.

Rear spring bush a loose fit in the spring eye is also a common problem, the fault being in an opened out or badly made eye rather than an incorrect bush. For this reason I believe rear spring bushes with an oversize o.d. have also been available in the past although I am not sure if they still are - ask the cherished suppliers. Otherwise in an extreme case making up a one-off set of bushes might be necessary.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bushes - Reaming King Pins & rear springs - by bystander - 05-07-2018, 07:57 PM