The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking engine
Great news Adrian!
Based on various cars over the years oil discolouration seems very related to consumption. When my Seven used vast amounts a 1/2 mile trip around the block noticeably changed the colour. Probably no more harmful than the colour in diesel engines and it all burned pronto anyway!

Cannot but wonder if the rings had been originally turned or expanded for some other bore, say 58mm then gapped down before sale. The wear appears considerable yet gap increase very small.  Model Engineers make rings by expanding them and heating but I dunno how car rings made.

A mechanic colleague reported that very variable results were obtained with customers cars re ringed with iron oil rings. He was reluctant to use other than the then current 4 piece steel rings.
Maybe a little belated, Adrian - I have only just perused this thread but, this product is recommended for running in rebored engines.
https://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk...n-oil.html
Hello Ian
Yes I have seen this before. I was a little concerned how this might affect the white metal bearings.
As previously discussed if the preparation is done correctly then this oil should not be necessary.
I guess these people must know what they are talking about, perhaps it shortens the running in period.
I note that the instructions say to run the oil at minimum level.
Adrian.
(10-09-2018, 12:44 PM)Adrian Payne Wrote: Hello Ian
Yes I have seen this before. I was a little concerned how this might affect the white metal bearings.
As previously discussed if the preparation is done correctly then this oil should not be necessary.
I guess these people must know what they are talking about, perhaps it shortens the running in period.
I note that the instructions say to run the oil at minimum level.
Adrian.
I don't believe that it contains any abrasive as such, rather that it has a cunningly engineered restricted lubricity. As far as white metalling goes my concern has always been the minute steel/iron shavings that abound when running in a newly rebored engine. My panacea for this has been to make and fit a strongly magnetic sump drain plug - it comes out like a Christmas tree at the first oil change so I know that at least some of the nasty bits are being collected. (rare earth magnets - recommended).