The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
recommendations for torque wrench pls
(28-06-2018, 11:44 PM)jansens Wrote: I suspect a lot of the benefit of using a torque wrench on 7s is consistency rather than absolute values. A simple test like Charles mentions will tell you if it's more or less accurate.

On assembling my engine I suspect the only place I will use mine is with the Phoenix big end bolts (since there is a recommended value for them I think?) and the head studs, just to get them all the same.

Calibration and accuracy of measuring equipment is always an interesting problem. I have a bunch of different temperature measuring devices, electronic and physical, they all read differently so you're never sure which one is 'right'.

There's even is a name for it, Segal's law (not Steven).

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure".

Simon

Quite so Simon. As observed above it's highly doubtful what the 'correct' torque is in most cases anyway, especially when dealing with 'used' joints. If you also plan to use it on your modern car I would take a different view.

While I think to mention it a Halfords trade card is well worth having. If can plausibly argue that you work in the motor trade (business card?) don't be shy about asking.

Messages In This Thread
recommendations for torque wrench pls - by JonE - 27-06-2018, 03:30 PM
RE: recommendations for torque wrench pls - by Chris KC - 29-06-2018, 08:28 AM