The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When is an Opal not an Opal?
This is really silly ... for well over fifty years I have always referred to the Ruby-fronted 2-seater as an Opal. I had a 1936 example as my first car, and back in the 1940s my father ran a 1937 version; both were known in the family as Opals.

But I have just been looking through some of my brochures on another matter, and realised that Austins did not, in fact, call this model the Opal! The only reference to the 2-seater being referred to as an Opal is in the 1934 brochure 1212, at which time the model still retained the earlier chrome radiator; all subsequent brochures - 1290, 1292, 1472 & 1539 - give the model name as, simply, the 2-seater.

So, are they Opals, or are they 2-seaters? And does it matter, anyway  Tongue
... and the Ruby Tourer is not a Ruby Tourer either! I've always wondered why. 
The "Opal" was supplied bumper-less of course but I hadn't realised the Tourer was too.

Peter.
Do the brochures still have "Ruby" and "Pearl", Mike?
Yes, Simon, the Ruby and Pearl are always referred to by name; the 4-seater tourer is always the Open Road (sometimes with the suffix Tourer, sometimes with Four Seater).

Ironically, when I took ownership of my Chrome Rad Opal, it was suggested (by owners of the later 2 Seater) that it couldn’t be an Opal because of the chrome radiator. The archive publications cleared that suggestion up. I shall have fun this week when I meet them and say "you know your car, it’s not really an Opal'"!
1931 RN, 1933 APD
That seems odd, not keeping the "jewellery" sequence.

Maybe the Nazis had an "O P A L"  organisation - something like that,  happening in the political world of the time?

Simon
In my 1936 Austin Diary the 7 h.p. models are listed as: Pearl Cabriolet; Ruby; Open Road; Two-seater and Nippy.
(24-06-2018, 03:28 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: That seems odd, not keeping the "jewellery" sequence.

Maybe the Nazis had an "O P A L"  organisation - something like that,  happening in the political world of the time?

Simon

Possibly because GM owned Opel in Germany they advised Longbridge that the Opal name was too close.

Austin had a chrome radiator Two Seater in 1933 - an Opal two seater briefly in 1934 reverting to Two Seater in 1935 for the new painted radiator model.

Tony.