The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Curious threaded hole in 3 speed G/B
In my experience the circumference is about as small as it can get, when fitting to a three speed gearbox like that.
(24-06-2018, 08:59 AM)JonE Wrote: brakes were still uncoupled in late 1929...

I think I confused myself (not hard) when scrutinising the 'table of mods' in the Companion.

It shows 'handbrake ratchet pivot altered' in Sept -Oct '27. That's something else then?
'Brakes on all wheels coupled' in June 1930.

Imagine if we had an illustrated version of this list!
Are you aware of Dave Martin's illustrated "List of Production Changes 1922 - 1939" Chris?
(24-06-2018, 09:43 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Are you aware of Dave Martin's illustrated "List of Production Changes 1922 - 1939" Chris?

I am now Ruairidh! Thank you...
I wonder what the strategy is with the book. i.e. will this come onto the publicly accessible archive in the fulness of time? I can see that books need to be sold to cover printing costs, but they are no longer the best way of getting the information far and wide for all, in the public domain.
(24-06-2018, 09:13 AM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: Erich
Looks like you could have quite a lot of metal turned off the circumference of that massive universal joint.......save a lot of weight on a rotating part.

Dennis

No he can’t, he’s got three bolts holding it to the 3 speed spider
(22-06-2018, 04:09 PM)Erich Wrote: As a newbie with an Ulster Rep, I have found a few things that should be there but are not, including the screw that fits between the bushing on the dizzy. I also have found a threaded hole on the OS rear of the 3 speed box. What is this for and should there be something there?

Erich in Seattle

In all early coill engined Austin Sevens  there is no screw that fits between the 'bushing' on the Austin 7 distributor (by this do you mean into the groove on the distributor shaft housing ?)

The spare parts books show all Austin Seven distributors  held in place by a clamp plate until the November 1936 book which shows this new method of holding the distributor in place.

Your car must be fitted with a late dynamo/distributor assembly.

Cheers, Tony.
Tony, I have a clamp on the dynamo that clamps the dizzy but still allows it to move for advance/retard. I also have a threaded hole in the end of the dynamo which would have some type of grub screw or other, that would keep the dizzy from moving up and down, as it would intersect between the two bushings on the dizzy.

My dizzy is a DJ 4.

Erich
(25-06-2018, 02:45 AM)Erich Wrote: Tony, I have a clamp on the dynamo that clamps the dizzy but still allows it to move for advance/retard. I also have a threaded hole in the end of the dynamo which would have some type of grub screw or other, that would keep the dizzy from moving up and down, as it would intersect between the two bushings on the dizzy.

My dizzy is a DJ 4.

Erich

Erich,

Sounds as though you have a 'combination' - does the advance retard clamp have a side slot to take a vertical stepped screw and spring into the dynamo end casting to hold the distributor in place - possibly not if you have the horizontal hole.

Tony.
Hi Tony, yes I do have that advance/retard clamp with the side slot. There is a screw(stud) with a nut at the slot but there is no spring. Are you saying that one should either have this to hold the dizzy in place, or the screw from the end of the dynamo which holds the dizzy in by being between the two bushings on the dizzy.

Erich in Seattle