The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voltage at Coil Terminals - Help Please
Hi,

I've been trying to resolve an ongoing starting problem and have now, I think, eliminated the carb so turned my attention back to the ignition.

Today I checked the voltage across the battery terminals which was 6.1 volts.   Not sure how good this is but the car hasn't been run much for some months due to the starting problems.

If I measure the voltage between the coil SW connection and a know earth I also get 6.1 volts but if I measure the voltage between the SW and CB terminals on the coil I only get 4.8 volts.

I thought the CB terminal was connected to earth when the points were closed so had expected it to be something like the 6.1 volts.   I have crudely tried connecting a wire between earth and the points and also between earth and the distributor body but it's still just 4.8 volts.

Am I misunderstanding things or should I get nearer to the 6.1 volt figure?   I take it that if there's a reduced voltage here it will also be proportionally lower on the HT side.

Any suggestions / advice,

John.

Messages In This Thread
Voltage at Coil Terminals - Help Please - by John P - 18-06-2018, 08:22 PM