The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter pull cable?
This is more curiosity than anything else, but could someone tell me what kind & gauge of wire/ cable was originally used to operate the forward-facing starter? Thanks.
I do not know the answer for sure but I reline the outers with bicycle brake cables, I don't know if these are exactly the same as the original inners but they work well for me.
Black Art Enthusiast
I also used bicycle brake cable to renew mine.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I already learned something - so there's an inner and an outer? Mine's always been hooked up with a length of plastic-coated garden wire...
Mine had a solid wire cable, approx 1.2mm diameter with no sleeve which I think was original (type 65).
(18-06-2018, 10:41 AM)NickB Wrote: Mine had a solid wire cable, approx 1.2mm diameter with no sleeve which I think was original (type 65).

Thanks Nick. What's on the cabin end of the 'cable' - a knob? A ring? ....
I also use bicycle brake cable, the little lead barrel stop needs filing down a bit but then fits into the pull spindle, silver solder where you want to cut it and cut through the middle of the solder. Ditto for the choke. I use a couple of inches of solid wire at the bottom joined to the bicycle cable with the brass part cut out of an electrical chocolate block connector. Repeated removal and refitting stranded cables ends up with frayed ends painfully sticking into your fingers.
Tony Betts had a Ruby (I think) starter pull and bracket for sale recently. It had the black knob through the bracket with a small spring around a central rod, the end of the rod had a  hole and the steel wire was through the hole and twisted back on itself. 

Haven't got a picture of mine as it fell apart as soon as I touched it. Copy picture from parts list attached. I note the parts list says operating wire, and not cable.

Chris KC, Tony's item has sold so I cannot show this picture. Gave a much better view of item.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's starting to sound dimly familiar - I think my Nippy has the same (not accessible right now to check it).

Anyway thanks to all, answers my question admirably.
When the wire on my RP failed, I replaced it with some piano wire of a similar gauge from the local model/craft shop. Can't remember what SWG it was - sorry - but probably somewhere in the 20s.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk