The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adapting a rear axle for Girling brakes
I did exactly this three weeks ago, Charles. I didn't think it would work either, but it does. The key is when you realise how little metal there is between the pin hole and the outer edge of the hub flange on a Girling axle as demonstrated by Ruairidh's photos. I'll take a backplate off and photograph what the finished axle end looks like later today.  In my case, the axle had already been modified to take Morris hydraulic backplates so 75% of the work had already been done when that modification was made, probably about 1960.

Steve

More photos, Charles. Note the 'angle grinder' finish!! Whilst the diameter of the hub flange needs to be a nats under 4", it only needs to be that at it's most outer edge. From there, the outer pin bracket can be formed at an angle leaving a fair amount of metal in place.

Steve

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adapting a rear axle for Girling brakes - by Steve Jones - 03-06-2018, 01:53 PM